Friday, October 18, 2024

Heavy fog early this morning.

Friday 18th October 2024.


A very foggy start to the day. You can only just see the Royal Garrison Church in the background within Pembroke Road.

I walked the dogs at 6.45am this morning only to find that it was very foggy outside. The ship's sirens were going off in the Solent for it was a real ‘Pea-souper’ as I made my way along my usual route with the dogs. As I neared St. Margarets Church, I could hear a lot of Redwings flying high overhead and a few Song Thrush thrown in too! The Moth Box was on last night and again, I left checking it properly till I got back from my first shift at Pembroke Road.


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


Despite the foggy conditions, I could still see some of the birds around, but the vast majority of birds noted were heard only; though only around 13 species were noted. The weather improved much in the afternoon, but it was so bright and sunny that looking up into the sky wasn't an option for I did need sunglasses. There wasn't anything really outstanding here this morning for I was more concentrating on the passing cars (like a speedtrack at times!), but the 13 species came thick and fast that included a small flock of 3 Greenfinches heading north.


The Moth Box:


An Angle Shades was the pick of the moths this morning.

Just 10 moths of 5 species this morning and, unfortunately, there was nothing new for the year among them. Grumble! Pick of the bunch was the Angle Shades, a species of moth that I can never tire from.


One of the many guises of the Light Brown Apple Moth.

The Moths recorded this morning included the following:

  • Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • Angle Shades
  • Common Plume
  • Light Brown Apple Moth x6
  • Rusty-dot Pearl





Above, a selection of photographs taken by fellow 'Lazee' Andy Tew over the past week. From top to bottom: Marsh Harrier x2, Kingfisher and a Great White Egret.

Ring Ouzels were seen in two locations within Hampshire today where fellow ‘Lazee' , James Cutting, had four birds at Butser Hill and a pair were seen on Portsdown Hill in exactly the same spot we were birding last Saturday. A real surprise was the discovery of a female Ruddy Duck on Blashford Lakes, although the exact site is being kept a guarded secret; just in case the RSPB decide to shoot it out of the water!!! I was furious with the RSPB in eradicating the Ruddy Ducks and promptly cancelled my membership. However, I have since rejoined; but I do question their motives sometimes. There were also three Black-necked Grebes on Ibsley Water today. Two Yellow-browed Warblers were found at Fishery Creek, Hayling Island and a Brambling over was a good find there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Despite the storm, a Cypress Carpet added to year list.

Sunday 20th October 2024. My first  Cypress Carpet for the year. As Storm Ashley batters the UK, I still had my moths to check within my Mot...