Thursday, October 10, 2024

Pearly Underwing now on my Moth year list.

Thursday 10th October 2024.


My first Pearly Underwing moth of the year. This is a common immigrant moth and good to get one in the Moth Box at last.

Another wet morning did not feel me with a lot of enthusiasm, but after taking the dogs for their early morning walk, I took a quick look on the outside of my Moth Box which I had put on last night. The outside egg boxes were damp again due to the rain and water collecting under the Moth Box, but they did hold a few moths. In fact, a few good moths were present, despite the poor weather. The wind was blowing from the north, but it wasn't too cold and the persistent drizzle put paid for me checking the Moth Box early.

The Moth Box:


One of four Jasmine Moths this morning. This was the highest ever count of this species in my garden.

A quick check of the Moth Box, despite the drizzle, revealed up to three Jasmine Moths and a few Light Brown Apple Moths. But it wasn't till I got back from my first shift at Pembroke Road, when I had a good look in the Moth Box. As well as the three Jasmine Moths found this morning, a fourth individual was found within the Moth Box. There were not that many moths, but I did find my first Pearly Underwing of the year. These are annual in my Moth Box and a fairly common immigrant moth to the UK, though predominantly found near the coast. Just 24 moths of 10 species recorded today.


Just the one Feathered Ranunculus moth this morning alongside a Hoverfly.

The Moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Angle Shades x2
  • L-album Wainscot
  • Feathered Ranunculus
  • Pearly Underwing (New for Year)
  • Large Yellow Underwing
MACRO MOTHS:
  • Light Brown Apple Moth x9
  • Rusty-dot Pearl x2
  • Jasmine Moth x4
  • Ruddy Streak x2
  • Beautiful Plume
 

One of two Angle Shades moth.

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

The rain, though light, was persistent throughout my first shift and only 11 species of birds were noted. A Grey Heron flying low over westbound was probably the best sighting this morning. One of the Jays was seen a couple of times going back and forth to the Holm Oaks for an acorn or two. There was just the one Yellow-browed Warbler seen this morning, which was at the bottom end of Seafarers Walk, Hayling Island. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare moth in my Moth Box.

Monday 14th October 2024. Only my second ever Radford's Flame Shoulder moth. And yet another wet start to the working week with drizzly...