Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Horrible weather, but two good moths.

Tuesday 8th October 2024.


I found these Large White butterfly caterpillars munching on Nasturtiam leaves in Pembroke Road yesterday and were still present today despite the heavy rain.

Heavy rain showers persisted overnight and into the morning and of course, I got a good soaking while walking the dogs at 7am this morning. I even put the Moth Box on overnight and I didn't bother looking at the contents till I got home from my first shift in Pembroke Road. It is always strange that when there is a good heavy downpour, the unusual moths turn up and this morning was no exception.


The Moth Box:



My first Black Rustic moth of the year.

Though the moths were very low in numbers, I had two excellent moths that were new for the year that included Delicate (two of) and a Black Rustic; both typical Autumn moths and a long time coming too. A Rush Veneer was perched on the white sheet behind (another was seen on the outside of my house last Sunday) and a total of at least 8 Light Brown Apple Moths of various guises also in the Moth Box. 


The Delicate moth was joined by a second individual.

The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:


  •  Delicate 2  (New for Year)
  • Black Rustic
  • Lesser Yellow Underwing
MICRO MOTHS:

  • Rush Veneer
  • Rusty-dot Pearl
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 8


Both the Delicate moths together.

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:



Though this photo was taken yesterday, there were more Rainbows and heavy showers for today!

Though I never expected to get many species here this morning in this awful weather, the Jay was flying over now and then, grabbing acorns from the nearby Holm Oak trees and then flying back west over the houses. A few Pied Wagtails were on Governors Green, but apart from the usual birds, all was pretty quiet.


Yellow-browed Warbler at Sandy Point. Photo by Pete Appleton.

Up to THREE Yellow-browed Warblers were present yesterday on Sandy Point, but only two were heard this morning at the same place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare moth in my Moth Box.

Monday 14th October 2024. Only my second ever Radford's Flame Shoulder moth. And yet another wet start to the working week with drizzly...