Sunday, August 4, 2024

My Southsea Moths & Highland Road Cemetery.

Sunday 4th August 2024.


The stunning Garden Tiger moth was new for the year.

It was back home in Southsea that I put on the Moth Box and after clearing all the Spider webs from it, I was hoping to grab a few more new moths for the year. It was clear overhead when I put the Moth Box on and so it was first thing this morning. Up to 41 moths of 27 species were recorded although a few did fly off before I could ID them. Four more species were added to my year list that included the gorgeous Macro Moth, the Garden Tiger (an annual species to my garden in variable numbers) and three Micro Moths, the immigrant moth Rusty Acorn Piercer, a species I have not seen in my garden for many years, a Mint Moth and finally, the Brown Moss Moth. 


Above, the Brown Moss Moth and below, Yellow-barred Brindle.

Other notable moths included my second Yellow-barred Brindle and Cabbage Moth for the year in my garden and my first Black Arches in my garden this year.


Above, Rusty Acorn Piercer and below, a Mint Moth.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Riband Wave
  • Yellow-barred Brindle
  • Buff Ermine 3
  • Cabbage Moth
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • Garden Tiger (NFY)
  • Square-spot Rustic 2
  • Garden Carpet 2
  • Pale Mottled Willow
  • Double-striped Pug 2
  • Black Arches
  • Common Rustic 3
  • Silver Y 2
  • Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
  • Canary-shouldered Thorn
  • Single-dotted Wave
  • Straw Dot
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 3
  • Rusty Acorn Piercer (NFY)
  • Beautiful Plume 2
  • Common Plume 2
  • Brown Moss Moth (NFY)
  • Garden Pebble
  • Black-banded Masoner 3
  • Common Masoner 2
  • Garden Grey
  • Mint Moth (NFY)
  • Bird-cherry Ermine
  • Ruddy Streak
  • Chestnut Tortrix
Highland Road Cemetery:


Speckled Wood butterfly in the Cemy.

Though it was tempting to take a trip down to Hill Head for the Terns (a Black Tern was reported this morning), I took the dogs for a walk again around the Cemetery. This is my ‘local patch’ and although the birdlife is still rather quiet, there is always something to look at within this little ‘Oasis’ within Southsea. The plants, insects and simply just being there with my dogs is heartwarming to me personally and there is always the bonus of something unusual turning up. Autumn migration is slowly taking place, so there could be a Flycatcher or a Warbler lurking about.


Above, a Speckled Wood butterfly on the ground and below, a Meadow Brown blending into the background.



Above, one of several Red Admiral butterflies seen around a large clump Buddliea. Below, I eventually found a Meadow Grasshopper on one of the graves. They can be very difficult to see at times.


Today, the Green Woodpecker was heard, but not seen, again and with only a handful of species seen; I had to turn to the plants and insects which were abundant today. Starting with the insects, I recorded five species of Butterfly seen that included Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Small White, Red Admiral and a couple of ‘Blue’ butterflies around the Buddleia that didn't settle long enough to be ID’d, though I suspect they were Holly Blue’s. A Dragonfly species flew past at speed and headed south, but far too quick to ID. Good numbers of Batman Hoverflies were seen and some even landed on me! Both Meadow and Common Green Grasshopper were present as well. I can still pick up the sound of the Grasshoppers and thanks to birding pal Geoff Farwell, he has helped me identify them by their ‘stridulation’.


Above, Common Knapweed and below, Scarlet Pimpernel.



Above, Common Centaury and below, a Wood Pigeon chilling out.


Of the plants noted, I found a clump of Common Centaury by a grave, a species that I do not recall seeing here before. Both Hawksbeard and Cat’s Ear, sporting their bright yellow petals, were simply everywhere along the footpaths and a lot of the graves had a carpet of Scarlet Pimpernel flowers. The weather was gorgeous; bright and sunny with very little wind and therefore, a pleasant walk was had.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...