Friday, August 9, 2024

A stunning five minutes in my garden.

Friday 9th August 2024.


The Hummingbird Hawk-moth in my garden this afternoon.

I had 15 minutes in the garden this afternoon and while enjoying an Ice lolly, there was a magic moment of five minutes where my garden suddenly came to life with insects. It was a sunny afternoon with a breezy south-westerly buffering the trees and bushes behind my garden, but pleasant enough to just sit there and watch as a pair of Large White butterflies flew around the garden and shortly afterwards, a Red Admiral came in also to feed on my Buddleia plants.


Above, another photo of the Hummingbird Hawk-moth enjoying the Buddeia and below, the female Common Darter dragonfly taking a rest in the same bush.

Luckily, I had my camera to hand and as I was taking photos of the butterflies, a female Common Darter dragonfly flew in and landed on top of the fence and then took refuge in the Buddleia bush. Then, incredibly, a Hummingbird Hawk-moth flew in and also took full advantage of the Buddleia as I tried to get some half-decent photos of this extremely fast flying insect. My third butterfly species then came in to explore the garden, a Holly Blue! All this insect action in the space of just 5 minutes! 


Above, one of two Large White butterflies came into my garden and below, the Red Admiral seen too.

Meanwhile, I am now spoilt for choice (should they both hang around) in going to either Church Norton for the long-staying Semipalmated Sandpiper or the adult Rose-coloured Starling at Keyhaven Marshes! Two stunning birds that would easily grace anyone's year list. The weather is looking very good for the weekend and so I am looking forward to tomorrow, but not before I have the Moth Box on overnight.


The adult Rose-coloured Starling at Keyhaven Marshes this afternoon. Photo by Andy Tew.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...