Sunday, May 26, 2024

Four more moths for my year list.

Monday 27th May 2024.


My first Buff-tip moth of the year.

Another Bank Holiday today and I made the most of it by kicking off with the Moth Box. The dogs actually woke me up at 5am this morning and so I got myself up and made my way to the garden. It was dry and bright again with high clouds, but reasonably mild. I could see there were a few moths around, especially by the white sheet behind the Moth Box. However, something had fallen above me and bounced off my head and when I looked down by my feet, it was one of the UK’s largest spiders, a Green-fanged Tube-web spider! I don’t mind spiders, but something big and black passing my face did make me jump! Our dog, Buddy, gave it a good sniff though as the spider slowly tried to hide itself.


Above, another photo of the Buff-tip with its wings out and below, the Green Pug.



Above, my second Turnip Moth of the year and below, my first Setaceous Hebrew Character of the year.



Above, also new for the year was this Birch Tortrix.

The Moth Box:

Four more moth species were added to my year list this morning that included a superb Buff-tip. The moth was resting on the ground below the moth box and I carefully placed it in one of my moth pots and put it in one of the plants nearby. Within the Moth Box, my first Setaceous Hebrew Character of the year was also present as well as the micro moth, Birch Tortrix (Epinotia immundana), again, new for the year. The fourth moth that was new for the year was a Green Pug that was resting on the kitchen window. A total of 26 moths of 14 species were present this morning which included the following:

  • Buff-tip (New for Year)
  • Turnip Moth
  • Willow Beauty 4
  • Setaceous Hebrew Character (NFY)
  • Silver Y 5
  • Green Pug (NFY)
  • Bright-line Brown-eye 3
  • Pale Mottled Willow 2
  • Garden Carpet
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
  • Common Marbled Carpet
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • Birch Tortrix (NFY)
  • Ruddy Streak 2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...