Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Straw Dot moth added to year list.

Tuesday 28th May 2024.


My first Straw Dot moth of the year this morning.

It was a very wet start to the day with drizzly rain for most of the morning and at 5.30am this morning, I braved the rain to check out my Moth Box I had on overnight and was rewarded with yet another moth that was new for the year. Yesterday, I had the opportunity for a lift to see the female Red-backed Shrike at Emer Bog on Baddesley Common near Eastleigh with both Matt & Emma Parkes; however, we had our Granddaughter Isabelle all day and were having a BBQ at the time when Matt gave me a call. Never mind, I still had a fantastic day with our Isabelle. I am pleased the guys got to eventually see the bird on their second attempt and get some nice photos too.


My second White-point moth of the year.

The Moth Box:

A Straw Dot by the moth box brought up my 50th species of ‘macro’ moth of the year, which was resting on the outside of the moth box. A total of 29 moths of 16 species were present this morning that included another White-point moth and probably yesterday's Buff-tip as well, which was in exactly on the same plant I left it in. Two Marbled Minors were present including a very dark individual and a Turnip Moth was probably an immigrant moth along with the two Silver Y’s. 

  • Turnip Moth
  • Bright-line Brown-eye
  • White-point
  • Lime-speck Pug
  • Silver Y 2
  • Willow Beauty 4
  • Pale Mottled Willow 4
  • Marbled Minor 2
  • Buff-tip
  • Vine’s Rustic 3
  • Garden Carpet
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • Light Brown Apple moth 3
  • Straw Dot (New for Year)
  • Ruddy Streak 2
  • Brown House Moth


Above, the female Red-backed Shrike at Emer Bog. Below, a Treecreeper feeding one of its offspring. Photos by Emma Parkes.

Yesterday, as mentioned before, a lovely female Red-backed Shrike was found at Emer Bog and was seen by a lot of birders and photographers alike throughout the day, although it did go missing for long periods hence Matt & Emma having to go back there again. This was their third Shrike species of the year too, having seen both Great Grey Shrike and Woodchat Shrike earlier this year. Earlier in the day, they went up to Woolbeding, near Midhurst to see the Honey Buzzards and were successful too. Personally, I had a pair of Sparrowhawks high over my garden and later in the early evening, I took the dogs with Isabelle for a ride on her bike over Highland Road Cemetery. I noticed that the grass within the Cemetery had not been cut this week and looked rather long indeed. Good stuff. Several Med Gulls and Black-headed Gulls flew over as did the odd Swift, while a nice gathering of Goldfinches were seen fluttering about in the trees and bushes around 7.30pm; while Isabelle was doing a bit of circuit cycling in the Cemetery. 


Above, this male Redstart with a fledgling was in the New Forest and below, one of the Honey Buzzards at Woolbeding. Photos by Emma Parkes.



The grass was getting longer in most parts of the Cemetery I noticed last night.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...