Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Osprey in Langstone Harbour.

Wednesday 3rd April 2024.


The distant Osprey perched on a post on Long Island within Langstone Harbour. My first Osprey of the year and hopefully, not my last. Just a shame the weather was so poor while I was there.

After yesterday's sighting of an Osprey on Long Island, within Langstone Harbour; I was more than tempted to take the journey north to Broadmarsh to view my first Osprey of the year. We were unlucky not to see one yesterday in Poole Harbour, but after fellow ‘Lazee Birder’ Gary Fennemore put the ‘gen’ out about the bird still being there on Long Island, it was a no-brainer. However, the weather was bloody awful, with a drizzle blowing in off the harbour and forgetting my cleaning cloth did not help either!

Broadmarsh and Langstone Harbour:

I parked up in the small car park overlooking Langstone Harbour and quickly got my scope out, but the wind was blowing strongly in off the harbour and the drizzle did not help either. I first scanned the usual trees on the islands and thought I had found the Osprey. However, I could clearly see through the telescope it was actually a female Peregrine perched on one of the taller dead trees on North Binness island. So where was the Osprey? I then remembered it was seen earlier on Long Island and so scanning east, I soon found the Osprey perched on a post, though it was too grim to do any digiscoping and so I just used my camera to take a few record photos of the bird. A few Oystercatchers passed by while I was watching, but the weather was poor again and so the ten minutes or so I spent there was enough. I have had enough soakings this week! Apparently, the adult Little Gull was still on Budd’s Farm, but I had a few chores to do and so made my way back home. Passing Farlington Marshes along the M27, a small flock of four Black-tailed Godwits flew over the road heading towards the reserve.  


This adult Sandwich Tern was off Shipstal Point, Arne RSPB Reserve, yesterday. Photo by Emma Parkes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...