Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Purple Sandpipers at Southsea Castle.

Tuesday 5th March 2024.


The Purple Sandpipers finally gave themselves up on the rocks just east of Southsea Castle. At least 11 of these lovely waders were counted, though not easy to see at times as they disappeared below the large rocks.  

Yet another wet start to the day here in Southsea, though it is supposed to get drier this afternoon. In rather mild conditions, a steady light rain came down throughout the morning, but it did attract 18 species to be seen around Pembroke Road this morning. Having got there earlier than expected, I did take a walk to Curtain Moat, behind Governor’s Green and it was nice to get close to a singing Dunnock and a pair of Goldcrests flitting about in the small bushes by the Green. The likes of Wheatears and Black Redstarts should be pushing through around now, but none on my ‘watch’ this morning. The four Brent Geese on Governor’s Green soon went up and up in numbers till eventually, at least 33 birds were there by 9am. The now usual Pied Wagtails on the Bowling Green numbered four birds and I had the pleasure of a Grey Wagtail flying high westbound; how I picked it up by its call first with all that noisy traffic going past, goes to prove how good my hearing is. Long may it last!


Above, a pair of Pied Wagtails were two of four birds on the Bowling Green this morning. I shall be keeping an eye on them should a White Wagtail turn up. A Hoopoe would be nice too! Below, this singing Dunnock was in the bushes by the footpath. 



Above, this Herring Gull joined the four Brent Geese at 7.50am this morning on Governor's Green. Below, a view of Curtain Moat. Nothing of note was seen on or around it, bar a few Feral Pigeons this morning.





Above, three photos of a few of the 11+ Purple Sandpipers present on the rocks this morning. Below, some film footage of the birds.


I wasn't done this morning as I brought along my binoculars and camera and so took a drive after my first shift to Southsea Castle. Surely, a Black Redstart must be hiding away there this morning? Nope; or if it was, I didn't see it. Groan! However, after a bit of searching, I did find the Purple Sandpipers feeding on the algae on the rocks, which was a bonus as I have failed to find any on my previous attempts. At first, there was absolutely nothing on the rocks and then on my third sweep through the binoculars, one popped up, then another, until at least 11 birds were counted either preening, searching for food or bathing in the small pools. When this new seawall is completed, it certainly is going to look good for passing waders to roost or rest. I had a good scan over the calm Solent, but apart from a few distant Gulls, all was very quiet.  


Some of the Brent Geese on Governor's Green this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...