Wednesday, March 6, 2024

First Jackdaw of the year over the Cemy.

Wednesday 6th March 2024.


The male Green Woodpecker showed well early this morning.

A much better day today with wall to wall blue sky and sunshine. It must have been very cold overnight for there was ice on my windscreen at 7.30am before making my way to my first shift at Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth. The Brent Geese flock on Governor’s Green numbered exactly 50 birds this morning, busy grazing on the short grass and looked impressive when they flew up, circled and landed back down; even stopping some of the public who watched with awe. All the usual bird species were present, which included up to 15 species on my first shift.


Above, a dewy start to the day. Below, the Herring Gulls were down on the ground with a Magpie in attendance. I expect the old lady with the bag of bread had been in the Cemy earlier today.



Above, not many Collared Doves were seen today, with this lone individual seen in the fallen Conifer in the south-east corner. Below, Starlings were gathering up on the rooftops.

When I got back home, I took the dogs for their walk around Highland Road Cemetery. On the way there, I could clearly hear a Grey Wagtail singing, but I got no sighting of the bird as it must have been behind the houses in my road. Bugger! The weather was just glorious and while I was making my way to the Cemy, birding pal, Emma Parkes, was taking photos of a Kingfisher at Trinity Lake in Gosport (see below). The Cemy held at least 19 species this morning including the Green Woodpecker again, that was first heard calling in the big Oak tree to the north-east of the Cemy and then flew high over my head and landed in the trees to the south of the Mausoleum and showing well too.


Above, I liked this photo of the Starlings on the rooftops. It looks as though the top bird is giving a speech while the other is watching! Below, a male Blackbird being quiet and unobtrusive in one of the trees.



Above, one of several Robins in full song and below, the Cherry blossom attracted the insects in the sunshine.

Other notable birds included the female Sparrowhawk that soared through low over the Cemetery heading north. The tell-tale sign a Sparrowhawk is about is when all the Pigeons scatter and the Herring Gulls give off their alarm call; then its time to check the sky for any raptors passing overhead. The best sighting, however, was a Jackdaw flying over. This species is rare in or over the Cemetery and I even managed to grab a few photos of the bird flying high overhead heading south, calling. 


Above, the same Robin as above but from a different angle!


Above and below, my first Jackdaw over the Cemy this year.



Above, the male Green Woodpecker again. I hope they get to breed here this year.

The birds seen in the Cemetery this morning included the following:

  • Green Woodpecker
  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jackdaw
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Blackbird
  • Sparrowhawk
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit 

There were some good photos around today, but I am not surprised with the gorgeous sunshine all day. Therefore I have borrowed some of both Emma Parkes and Rob Porters today.


Above and below, the Kingfisher on Trinity Pond in Gosport. Photos by Emma Parkes.



Above, two Red-legged Partridge with a Grey Partridge at North Baddesley. Below, a covey of Grey Partridge at the same location. Photos by Rob Porter.



Above and below, a male Firecrest at Hook-with-Warsash. Photos by Emma Parkes.



On my second shift, which incidentally, was lovely and warm with bright sunshine (I even wore my sunglasses!), a pair of Mute Swans were added to my day total here, with two bird flying together, no doubt heading east towards Canoe Lake. A few Bees were on the wing too, taking advantage of the nearby Daffodils in someones front garden that included a queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee, a Drone Fly and my first Hairy-footed flower Bee of the year!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...