Friday, March 1, 2024

A soggy walk around the Cemy.

Friday 1st March 2024.


 The heavy rain this morning produced a lot of puddles throughout the Cemetery.

Another day of awful weather with strong winds along with heavy rain at times, though it got a bit drier in the afternoon, thankfully. The wind and rain was so strong in the early hours of the morning, it actually woke me up! Yep, my first shift this morning was grim with heavy rain and the strong westerly wind blowing, but despite all this, I still checked out the birdlife in the area and this morning, I counted 20 Brent Geese on Governor’s Green and the 6 Pied Wagtails on the Bowling Green.


Above, several Blue Tits showed well in the trees and below, several Blackbirds were on show too.



Above, this Robin perched on a statue sang its heart out near the main footpath and below, I found a small flock of Greenfinch in the north-east corner of the Cemetery.

When I got back, the rain and wind had simply vanished and was thankfully replaced by a bright blue sky and blazing sunshine. Even the wind had dropped as we made our way around the perimeter of Highland Road Cemetery again. I really should have worn my walking boots because the footpaths had huge puddles on them, but I managed to keep my feet dry, just! Only 17 species were seen this morning here, but it did include the Green Woodpecker again, within the trees by the Mausoleum and a Dunnock was seen briefly (a scarce bird here) and not a great deal of photo opportunities either this morning. At least it was dry! 


This male Blackbird landed just a few feet away from us.

The birds noted this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Dunnock
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Goldfinch
  • Greenfinch 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...