Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The midweek gallery.

Wednesday 28th February 2024.


This superb photo of a Bittern was taken from the Ivy North Hide, Blashford Lakes, recently by Pete Appleton. Sadly, unless the Fishlake Meadows bird puts in an appearance, it looks like I am not going to see this species this winter. 

A fairly mild morning to start the day with and relatively bright too, with the sun desperate to break through the high cloud. However, I hear that there is rain on the way again, but on my first shift this morning in Pembroke Road, it was pleasant. 14 species were seen in total that included my highest number of Brent Geese on Governor’s Green this year; with 60+ birds present, though I think a couple more flew in as well. A small group of three Mute Swans (all juveniles) flew west and a Cormorant looked as though it settled on Long Curtain moat to the south of where I was. Great Tits were singing in the trees and the Pied Wagtail flock on the Bowling Green numbered six birds.   

When I got home, the first thing I did was knock on my neighbours houses to get an agreement to put more Swift Boxes up. The guys from Hampshire Swifts are happy to bring and erect the boxes once we get confirmation on how many are going up; with at least 7 boxes so far, I am hoping to get into double figures at least. Brilliant stuff. Below are some of the superb photos of a few birds that have turned up in Hampshire recently. My birding friends have allowed me to put on my blog, for which I am very grateful. 


Above, The adult Red-breasted Goose on Normandy Marshes. I was hoping the bird would linger for another week, but sadly not. I had no luck with the Red-breasted Goose in Norfolk, though I heard it returned to a field in Wells yesterday! Photo by Pete Appleton.


Above and below, this superb male Black Redstart has been seen in Gosport recently. Photos by Pete Appleton. Again, I have yet to catch up with one this year, though I am sure one will turn up either at Fort Cumberland or Southsea Castle soon. 



Above, a Sandwich Tern past Hill Head. Photo by Emma Parkes. Below, a Corn Bunting at Toyd Down. Photo by Rob Porter.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...