Thursday, February 29, 2024

A very wet day!

Thursday 29th February 2024.


One of the Braishfield Waxwings photographed recently by Rob Porter.

Well, it's not every day I can add to my blog on the 29th February, what being a Leap Year; however, there is not all that much to write about seeing our weather here in the south was simply horrible today. It was non-stop rain and even heavier in the afternoon where I got a bit of a soaking. Even the School lads playing Rugby on Governor’s Green only played for around 30 minutes before giving up due to the weather. Earlier today, on my first shift, the Brent Geese numbers on Governor’s Green peaked at 65 birds, which topped yesterday’s number here. The Pied Wagtail flock on the Bowling Green still numbered 6 birds and a Common Gull (uncommon here) were among the 18 Black-headed Gulls on Governor’s Green this afternoon. 


Above, a Kingfisher in Gosport and below, a male Siskin at Blashford Lakes. Both photos by Rob Porter.



Above, the drake Scaup at Pennington Marshes by Rob Porter and below, a male Dartford Warbler at Browndown by Emma Parkes.

Not a great deal else of note today, but a singing male Blackbird (see below) in my back garden was nice to hear and see in my neighbours garden. I am a little concerned about the lack of any birds eating any of my bird food recently. In fact, I have not seen anything at all on the feeders all week, which I find quite unusual. There has been a cracking male Black Redstart around Haslar Marina slipway, of which quite a few 'toggers' have been filling their boots with.  Thankfully, some of my birding friends have taken some superb photos of late and again, have allowed me to put some of them on my blog, which I am most grateful for. 


This singing Blackbird in my neighbours garden in the rain typified what the day was like.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...