Tuesday, February 6, 2024

A recent sightings update.

Tuesday 6th February 2024.


I took the dogs for a walk around Highland Road Cemetery late Sunday afternoon and as we are now in February, the Cemetery now stays open to 5pm.

Sorry guys, not too much to report apart from the strong, gusty winds that nearly blew me over while at work in Old Portsmouth today. The Brent Geese have not been seen this week on Governor’s Green, but a female Sparrowhawk has flown over Pembroke Road today and yesterday. Around 12 to 14 species has been seen daily so far this week at Pembroke Road. 


Above, the Waxwings that were still present at Braishfield, Romsey, recently. Photo by Pete Appleton.


Great Crested Grebe.


A male Common Crossbill at Acres Down.


Great White Egret at Greylake RSPB Reserve, Somerset.



Peregrine.


Above, Emma Parkes took the above five photos recently, including the Water Rail above.


A male Siskin. Photo by Andy Tew.

It has been fairly quiet in Hampshire of late, but up to four Spoonbills have been on Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve over the past few days with the Siberian Chiffchaff seen again by  the Bridge Street Flood. Tomorrow looks like a wet one, but maybe these strong winds might bring something interesting in? Tonight, I am adding some superb photos taken recently by some of my birding friends and a few from myself. While checking the bird sighting reports on Birdguides, I noticed that a very early male Wheatear was on an airfield at Ternhill, in Shropshire yesterday. I think it is in for a rude awakening as snow is reported for the midlands over the next few days!!!


Dusk fell quickly as I made my way around Highland Road Cemetery last Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...