Monday, January 15, 2024

Yellow-legged Gulls in Old Portsmouth.

Monday 15th January 2024.


The large Conifer and Oak Tree on the east side of the Cemy. Both trees are good for producing good bird sightings throughout the year.

Another very cold start to the morning with temperatures well into the minuses, with the northerly wind chill numbing my face this morning. At least it was dry and sunny this morning and I was rewarded with a good total of 19 species of birds this morning, which included an actual ‘year-tick’! I crossed over Pembroke Road to check on how many Brent Geese were present and first thing this morning, there were at least 16 birds, however, the number increased as the morning wore on. Then I caught sight of the two large Gulls close to the perimeter fence and their gleaming yellow legs immediately pointed them out as adult (possibly a pair) of Yellow-legged Gulls; my first of the year. I had one this time last year on nearby Canoe Lake, but to find my own birds was pleasing.


Above, again there were good numbers of Starlings this morning in and around the Cemetery and below, the female Great Spotted Woodpecker put in another appearance.

It didn't end there either as shortly afterwards, three Ravens flew low over Governor’s Green heading south and I pointed out a male Sparrowhawk soaring overhead to a friend as the bird was being mobbed by a Carrion Crow. Later, a female bird came over the road and headed off eastbound adjacent to the trees, to the sound of the alarm call of a Blue Tit. I was pretty sure I had a Lesser Black-backed Gull flying over the Green but it was too quick for me to get confirmation as it disappeared behind the house and trees. I did see one distant bird flying westbound and high, but it was too distant to get an ID (if I only had some binoculars at the time!), but the ‘jizz’ of the bird reminded me of an Ibis!


Above, more Starlings searching the graves for any insects and below, this Carrion Crow was flying over the Cemetery with its mate. I don't often get flight shots of these birds.

After a warming cup of coffee when I got home, I took the dogs for their walk around Highland Road Cemetery. Stupidly, I didn't wear a wooly hat and so suffered from the cold. 17 species were recorded on my walk around the Cemetery and though all the usual suspects were present, the female Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen again for the second time this year at this site. It was bitterly cold this morning and so I did not hang around too long today plus I had a few chores to do before going back to work.


Above, there were plenty of puffed out Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves up in the trees today. Below, this Robin was singing no less than 6ft away from where I stood.

The birds seen and heard in the Cemetery this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blackbird
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • Carrion Crow


One of many Goldfinches showing well in the Cemetery today.

In Hampshire today, Waxwings were reported at a couple of locations; a couple in Braishfield near Romsey and also a tidy flock in Basingstoke. There are probably a few more birds yet to be discovered as they make their way south, so I shall be keeping an eye out while out and about. The Black-necked Grebe was reported off Hill Head again, while at Southsea Castle, three Purple Sandpipers and a nice male Black Redstart was still present there. The long staying three Glossy Ibis are still present at Posbrook Floods, Titchfield; along with a Water Pipit. Yesterday, there was a report of Waxwings in Clanfield and so giving Andy Fisher the nod, he rushed up only to discover that the birds had been seen earlier in the week and not yesterday after all! Meanwhile, birding pal Geoff Farwell took a trip to the Corhampton area and notched up the following goodies: 14 Common Buzzard, 4 Red Kite, Sparrowhawk, 2 Kestrels, Raven, 20 Skylark, 30 Meadow Pipits, 48 Siskin, 4 Brambling, 66 Yellowhammer and a Reed Bunting. 

 


The Waxwings at Braishfield, Romsey, today. Photo by Andy Tew.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...