Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A good total of species in the Cemy this morning.

Wednesday 17th January 2024.


I took this photo of this Jay burying an acorn by one of the graves and it wasn't till I was checking my photos out on my laptop that I discovered there was the Green Woodpecker sat quietly in the bottom right hand corner of the photo!

The wintry weather is still here on the south coast of England and where a lot of the UK north of us has had snow, it has escaped us so far, though there is a threat of the white stuff possibly this afternoon or this evening. The daytime temperatures remain very cold and with a north-easterly wind, it feels well below freezing, especially when I am on my first and last shift down at Old Portsmouth. One bit of good news is that the Waxwings have finally started hitting Hampshire in earnest, with birds being seen in Clanfield, Bishops Waltham, Titchfield and Romsey. I do hope Portsmouth don't dip out on these fantastic birds.


Above, the Starlings were in good numbers still this morning and below, the diminutive Goldcrest flitting about around the branches of the Oak Tree.

Yesterday, I notched up 15 bird species at Pembroke Road and the Brent Geese on nearby Governor’s Green increased to 30 birds! I went for a coffee with a mate at the Coffee Cup along Southsea seafront after my first shift and I noticed a huge flock of Brent Geese on the Pitch & Putt Green; easily around 150+ birds and they looked spectacular when something flushed them and they flew low overhead in the bright sunshine. Just a shame I didn't have my camera with me.


Above, probably one of the UK's hardiest plants, the Daisy, was still flowering and below, Winter Heliotrope was growing again underneath the Holm Oak trees.

This morning, Up to 12 species were noted at Pembroke Road, including the Brent Geese flock on Governor’s Green with 30 birds present yet again. When I finished my shift, I got home to take the dogs for their usual walk around Highland Road Cemetery and this time, I was actually dressed for the occasion, so I had a nice warm head! Both Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers were in the Cemetery this morning, but only the latter was seen, but too quick for a photo this time; while the Green Woodpecker was heard to call just once. The Jay put in an appearance by hopping around on the ground by a grave and a single Goldcrest was seen on the branches of the Oak Tree over on the east side. Good to see the Song Thrush in the Cemy again flitting around the bushes by the Mausoleum, but no sign of any Winter thrushes today. 22 species were recorded during my walk today, which was quite impressive for this time of year.


Above, Goldfinches and Greenfinches in a small flock in the centre of the Cemy and below, a small flock of House Sparrows near one of the footpaths.

The birds recorded in the Cemetery this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush
  • Jay
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker   


Above, the flashing yellow wing bar of this Goldfinch still stands out well in the overcast conditions this morning.

Early doors in Hampshire this morning, the following sightings have already been recorded that include a Black-throated Diver off Sandy Point (Hayling Island), Waxwing at Bishops Waltham, Hawfinch at Acres Down (the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was ‘drumming’ on its usual well-known tree there yesterday) and a Glossy Ibis at Posbrook Floods. The Northern Waterthrush is STILL being seen at Heybridge, Essex today for its umpteenth day. Incredible. Winterwatch is finally back on our screens of which I am recording and hopefully will find some time to get to watch this superb programme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...