Friday, January 19, 2024

A pleasant walk around Eastney & a Blackcap in my garden.

Friday 19th January 2024.


This immature Shag was fishing along the shoreline close to where I stood by the Hayling Ferry Terminal.

Though extremely cold first thing this morning, it was going to be a cloudless sunny day despite it being around freezing all day. Even Canoe Lake was mostly frozen over, with just a quarter of it free of ice for the many Mute Swans to make the most of! My first shift of the day at Pembroke Road produced a reasonable total of 15 species present and that included a healthy number of 35 Brent Geese grazing on the short grass on Governor’s Green. Again, all the usual birds were present here including a calling Goldcrest somewhere in the Holm Oaks and later on the afternoon shift, a Jay was added to my total for the day.


A beautiful calm sea to the south and a quiet walk along the concrete promenade to view the holes by Fort Cumberland. Below, no Owls in the holes, but this dog Fox was sunning itself above the holes.



Above and below, these Sanderling kindly came a lot closer than when first found. I think they tolerate too many dog-walkers and Nudists that haunt the area.



Above, a pair of Common Gulls were also on the beach close by. I don't often get the chance to photograph this species, but they seem to be regular here in the winter months. Below, the promenade looking west.

Having been over in Highland Road Cemetery yesterday, I fancied walking the dogs somewhere different and so I opted for a walk along the beach in front of Fort Cumberland. Once parked up, we made our way to the beach where we were confronted with a flat calm sea. A few dog-walkers were on the beach and though I scanned the sea for any birds, it was virtually empty. Just one lone Sanderling was on the shoreline, but too distant to get a nice photo and so I made my way east, carefully checking the ruined buildings to the north for a possible Black Redstart; but it wasn't to be. A Robin popped up, giving false hope for a ‘BR’, but apart from the many Feral Pigeons, bugger all! I got up to the end of the concrete promenade to view the holes in the walls for any Owls, but none on show. Only Stock Doves and Feral Pigeons to be found, but there was a dog Fox curled up in the sunshine enjoying what little heat the winter sun gave off. On the way back to the car, three Sanderling flew in and landed close to a pair of Common Gulls; both giving exceptional views.


Above, a Dunnock by the perimeter fence at Fort Cumberland Common and below, a male Blackbird on the same fence.



Above and below, Greenfinches were abundant around the brambles on the Common.



Above, distant Brent Geese flying over the houses to the north towards Langstone Harbour.

I thought I would take a walk around Fort Cumberland Common for a change seeing there were not many dog-walkers around and though it was fairly quiet (sometimes Dartford Warblers and Stonechat can be seen here), there were a few birds to photograph, including Meadow Pipit, Blackbird and some Greenfinches (a good site for them here). Sadly, there were a few dogs off their leads here and though I kept a close eye on them, we made it back safely to the car and so I finished off with a good look off the spit by Hayling Ferry Terminal.


Above, a very calm and tranquil Lock Lake, just south-west of the spit. Below, this immature Shag was fishing close to the shoreline. Superb.






From here, there was an immature Shag (above) fishing close to the shoreline. It was fascinating watching the bird put its head under the water to search for food among the rocks and weed (see photos). A pair of Mergansers also showed well close to the Terminal, but soon flew off further north into the harbour. The light was simply fantastic and an absolute photographer's dream. The tide was out within Langstone Harbour as I watched the waders, including Dunlin, Oystercatchers, Redshank and Curlew feeding on the mudflats and I was lucky enough to see a Greenshank flying overhead heading north-east over the harbour. Very little was in the harbour entrance and so I made my way back home and it didn't finish there!






Above, a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers graced the harbour close to the Ferry Terminal and below, a Greenshank flew over my head and headed off into the harbour.



Above, a lone Little Egret also was just off the spit wading close to the foreshore. Below, looking north from the Hayling Ferry Terminal into Langstone Harbour.

While enjoying a cup of coffee, earlier in the day, I had put out more Apple halves by the bird feeders and it paid off as I found a female Blackcap feeding on the fruit; my first of the year. I did have a pair here in late December last year and I thought they were still around. Even the Blue Tits enjoyed the Apple halves too, so I shall regularly keep putting out the Apples throughout the winter.  




I found this female Blackcap feeding on the apples I put out for them this morning.

The weekend is nearly upon us and I am racking my brain on where to go tomorrow. Sadly, there were no reports of Waxwings in Hampshire today, but a Black-throated Diver off Black Point (Hayling Island), Spoonbill & Black-necked Grebe off Hill Head and Glossy Ibis and Siberian Chiffchaff at Titchfield Canal Path are all very tempting and back in the New Forest, Acres Down has ‘drumming’ Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Crossbills and other goodies. 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...