Thursday, September 14, 2023

A Gem moth was new for the year.

Thursday 14th September 2023.


I could not get this Gem moth to settle and so the photo of it had to be taken while it was in the pot. Roughly the size of a Garden Carpet moth, it is delicately marked and identified by its small dot on each wing. 

Last night, while checking the moth box before I headed off to bed, an Old Lady moth was perched on the white sheet behind the box and something a little more interesting right beside it. I grabbed one of the smaller pots and managed to pot the said moth which turned out to be my first Gem moth of the year. These are a common immigrant moth from the Continent into Hampshire, but I rarely get them near my moth box, so I was pleased to add another quality moth to my year list.


Left, one of four Clancy's Rustics with an out of focus Vine's Rustic in front of it.

This morning, the Old Lady moth had disappeared, however, I found an Olive-tree Pearl up in the back bedroom window as it must have come through the open window last night. The moth numbers were greatly reduced this morning compared to when we had the heat wave earlier on last week, though the next few days are going to be warm I understand.


Left, a Silver Y moth and right, a Pale Mottled Willow. The latter was easily the most numerous species of moth this morning.

There were 69 moths of 20 species, probably the lowest total of the week so far, but still a reasonable total and a nice variety too with all the Autumn moths starting to come through now. Four Clancy’s Rustics were the highest total ever in one morning within my moth box and is most certainly a very good year for them, not just for me but for many Moth-ers in the UK it seems.

The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Gem (NFY)
  • 1 Small Dusty Wave
  • 8 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 2 Silver Y
  • 1 Vines Rustic
  • 17 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 4 L-album Wainscot
  • 4 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 3 Square-spot Rustic
  • 4 Clancy’s Rustic
  • 7 Willow Beauty
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Setaceous Hebrew Character
  • 1 Beautiful Plume
  • 1 Dark Neb
  • 1 Dingy Dowd
  • 1 Apple Leaf Miner
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 3 Ruddy Streak
  • 7 Box Tree Moth
  • 1 Gold Triangle 


Just the two Collared Doves were seen in the Cemy today.

Overhead, there was a trickle of Meadow Pipits going over and even a small flock of House Martins flew very high over. I managed to even see one and believe you me, it was very high up and I was going by its call it was making otherwise I would not have noticed them. A Siskin flew over and was actually seen this time and the bird was picked up flying low eastbound.


Purple Toadflax is now starting to flower among the Smooth Sow-thistle.

This morning, on my first shift at Pembroke Road, a pair of Chiffchaffs were seen flying into a tall tree opposite where I was, both calling in doing so. I could hear a few more Meadow Pipits flying over and even a Grey Wagtail, but both species were heard only. Yesterday afternoon, something was making a very strange sound from the trees where I saw the Chiffs this morning. It turned out to be a Jay making all these grunts and whistles. 


I cannot emphasise enough on how many Bees and Hoverflies were enjoying the flowering Ivy plants this morning. So I took a photo of several in flight over the plants.

Another trip over the Cemetery this morning at around 11am wasn't quite as memorable as yesterday, but nonetheless, plenty to see again with at least four Chiffchaffs noted, though I am sure there were more and a few passing Swallows overhead. Meadow Pipits were vocal overhead as several small groups flew over, though very hard to see in the bright sunshine. 


This juvenile Blackbird was taking refuge in a bush over in the south-east corner.

I have to say that the Bee and Hoverfly population seems to be increasing every time I go over to the Cemetery, especially now that the Ivy plants are now flowering. Large numbers of Drone Fly, Tapered Drone Fly and Batman Hoverfly were making the most of the flowering plants and even a few Hornet-mimic Hoverflies were seen, especially on the tall Ivy plants over on the east side of the Cemetery. Easily, the most numerous butterflies today were the Red Admirals which were well into double figures. The path through the centre of the Cemetery seemed to have most of them with at least 5 individuals on one of the Ivy plants! A few Large and Small Whites were seen and another Vapourer Moth was seen on the wing. I just wish one would land, so I can grab a photo!


Above, the Hornet-mimic Hoverfly and below, a pair of Common Field Grasshoppers.

As well as good numbers of Garden Spiders utilising every amiable bush, Common Field Grasshoppers were abundant on the dried out graves. I am lucky to say I can still hear them ‘stridulating’ down in the grass below and if you wait patiently, one would eventually move enough to catch sight of them. I did keep an eye out in the bright, sunny sky in case we had a repeat of yesterday's Spoonbills flying over, but not even a raptor could be seen today.      


Red Admiral butterflies were the most abundant species today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...