Tuesday, August 15, 2023

New moth for life list & a trip to the Cemy.

Tuesday 15th August 2023.


The juvenile Green Woodpecker over on the east side of the Cemetery this morning.

There was wall to wall sunshine today and so this morning, I took a pleasant stroll around Highland Road Cemetery before work and I was pleased with what I saw today. Earlier this morning, I was checking some past moth photos from several years ago and realised, after careful scrutiny, that I had photographed a Lempkes Gold Spot moth, which is not a common moth at all compared to the more familiar Gold Spot. Another moth for my life list. Happy days.


Above, sorry, not the sharpest photo of this moth, but earlier today, I discovered that this was the much rarer Lempkes Gold Spot. I will have to go through some of my archive photos to find out when I actually saw this moth. Below, Ragwort was scattered around the Cemetery.

Starting off with the birds seen or heard, a total of 16 species were recorded this morning on my walk round my local patch. Pick of the bunch was a rather vocal juvenile Green Woodpecker, who was first heard then eventually seen, searching for Ants nests near the footpath around the graves and as I slowly crept up to the bird, I managed to grab some reasonable photos of this attractive bird. First seen on the east side of the Cemetery, it was later seen near the Mausoleum, climbing up the bough of an Ash tree.


Above, Smooth Sow-thistle in flower and below, totally at one with nature. Below, this Drone Fly rested on my arm for several minutes, even allowing me time to take a photo of it. 

Migration is now in full swing and a few Willow Warblers were now in the Cemetery. I could hear at least three birds calling on my walk round and at least two were seen, including one in the Holm Oak clump. All the other usual suspects were present and hopefully, something scarcer will arrive. I shall keep my eye out. Butterflies were in good number that included both Large & Small White’s and a lot of Red Admirals flying around, especially around the Buddleia plants. Meadow Browns kept low over the grass and the occasional Holly Blue could be seen. Best of all, my first Speckled Wood butterfly for the site was seen, but flushed by another passing butterfly before I could get a photo. Hurrumph!


Above, Cat's Ears plants on one of the graves and below, one of many Red Admiral butterflies present. 

As well as butterflies, other insects included my first Vapourer moth of the year, which, unfortunately, did not settle; though its distinctive looping flight gave its ID away. A few Hornet-mimic Hoverflies were also seen and if you creep up close to them, they seem to be more than happy in carrying on about their business. Drone Flies were abundant too, including one individual that was more than happy to settle on my arm. A female Pied Hoverfly (Scaeva pyrastri) was seen settling on a Hawkbit plant, a species that I have not seen this year and a smart individual too.


Above, a view of the Mausoleum heading west. Below, I found a Common Wasps nest in a hole by one of the graves.



Above, several Hornet-mimic Hoverflies were present and below, a female Common Hawker dragonfly perched on an Ivy bush.

The Council has seen fit to put another park bench within the Cemetery; something I have been campaigning for many a year. This one though is by the other Chapel, looking west across the Cemetery. I am hoping for one on the east side in the future, but I won't hold my breath! 


Above, a Buff-tailed Bumblebee on the Buddleia and below, a Pied Hoverfly on a Hawkbit plant.

Bird species seen this morning in the Cemetery included the following:

  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Green Woodpecker juvenile
  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Willow Warbler
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie

On the way back home, looking up to my neighbour's Swift box, I could hear not only the calls of very young chicks within the box, but also an adult Swift possibly feeding them. The end of its wings were sticking out of the nest box, but I didn't hang around too long because I did not want to frighten the bird. This is the THIRD brood for this Swift box this year. Excellent news. Out and about in Hampshire today, fellow ‘Lazee Birder’ Andy Tew had photographed a Honey Buzzard flying over the Pig Bush area of the New Forest. Hopefully, I might catch up with this species after our failed attempt over Whiteley earlier this year.






The juvenile Green Woodpecker within the Cemetery today.

A lot of common migrants are now being seen including Tree Pipits, Garden Warblers, Whinchats, Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart and Yellow Wagtails at various locations. Both Osprey and Goshawk were seen over Fishlake Meadows and a Wood Sandpiper was seen on the south scrape at Titchfield Haven today. I still need this species along with Green Sandpiper for my year list. Hopefully, I should catch up with some of these species during the Autumn. Nationally, the seawatching off the Devon and Cornwall coasts is still turning up some amazing seabirds including a Red-footed Booby that was perched on Bishop Rock Lighthouse!!


Honey Buzzard over Pig Bush today. Photo by Andy Tew.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...