Thursday, August 17, 2023

A Poplar Hawk-moth graces the moth box.

Thursday 17th August 2023.


My first Poplar Hawk-moth in the garden this year.

I woke up at ‘silly o’clock’ this morning, a full hour before my alarm at 5.30am this morning and eventually succumbed to having to get up or simply lay there. It was still dark when I went downstairs to make a coffee and so, chilling out for a while, I eventually made my way to the moth box around 6am. I don't normally put the box on two nights running for fear of trapping the same moths, but thank God I did. For I was blessed with my first ‘live’ Poplar Hawk-moth in the box. Last night was very warm and so I thought it would be a good night to have the moth box on and maybe pick up something unusual.


A medley of moths. The Poplar Hawk-moth, Garden Tiger and a Vine's Rustic.

A total of 63 moths of 24 species was a lot lower than yesterday, which was a bit disappointing, but I was made up with the Poplar Hawk-moth which I carefully placed in the centre of one of our plants. The first Turnip Moth for a few months was present as was a Cabbage Moth and on the micro moths, two Rusty-dot Pearls were probably the most notable.


Turnip Moth.

Sadly, nothing was heard or seen overhead during the time I was outside in the garden. It shouldn't be long now for some decent ‘Vis mig’ overhead?


A Garden Tiger moth with the wings open this time.

The moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Poplar Hawk-moth (NFY)
  • 4 Brimstone Moth
  • 6 Garden Tiger
  • 1 Cabbage Moth
  • 2 Square-spot Rustic
  • 12 Vine’s Rustic
  • 1 White-point
  • 2 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 3 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 1 Silver Y
  • 3 Willow Beauty
  • 5 Lime-speck Pug
  • 1 Turnip Moth
  • 2 Marbled Beauty 
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 2 Box Tree Moth
  • 1 Ruddy Streak
  • 1 Mother Of Pearl
  • 2 Bird-cherry Ermine
  • 3 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 5 Common Plume
  • 1 Brown House Moth
  • 2 Rusty-dot Pearl  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...