Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Flamingo fantasy!

Tuesday 22nd August 2023.


This adult Curlew Sandpiper graced the pools at Pennington Marshes recently. Photo by Christine Whiffen.

There was no birding or mothing by myself today and so I took the opportunity to not only catch up with today's sightings but also to put on my blog some superb photos I have seen recently on various social media sites. Tuesday was very nice with the weather, though a tad warm in the afternoon as I got about doing some chores around the house. As we know, migration is in full swing and there were plenty of interesting common migrants on the south coast today including good numbers of both Whinchat and Yellow Wagtail coming through. 


This cracking Clifden Nonpareil moth was found & photographed by Matt Parkes today.

I have not seen a Whinchat yet this year and currently, there is one down at Farlington Marshes as I write this entry to my blog tonight. But I am cooking a Casserole for my wife and myself, so that bird will just have to wait to have the honour of my presence. Andy Fisher texted me to say that he went down there to see this ‘imaginary’ Flamingo reported early this morning in Langstone Harbour. For his efforts, all he saw of note was a Snipe on the Lake and a Brent Goose on the Stream. Gosh! Anyway, the jokes were good by the ‘Lazee’s’ about the Flamingo.


A Goat Moth caterpillar found and photographed by James Cutting.

Other interesting sightings today included a Clifden Nonpareil moth (Blue Underwing) that was found by Matt Parkes at his workplace in Alresford and he kindly sent through some photos of the huge moth. Lucky man. Fellow ‘Lazee’, James Cutting, found a Goat Moth caterpillar recently in Lakenheath Fen, Suffolk. I have never seen a Goat Moth and probably never will in Southsea, but you never know! Titchfield Haven today hosted both Garganey and Little Stint on the South Scrape, two species I have yet to see this year and while I am both writing this and watching a Migrant Hawker dragonfly hunting around mine and my neighbours garden, news has just come in that a Black Stork had been seen in Brockenhurst! We shall wait and see if the news is genuine or just another Flamingo in disguise!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...