Sunday, August 20, 2023

Tree Pipit over the house.

Sunday 20th August 2023.


The micro moth White-bodied Conch (Neoconchylis hybridella) was my first for the year.

Not only did I get some interesting moths early this morning, but a superb Tree Pipit, my first of the Autumn, flew over calling and heading south high over the garden. They are regular here in the Autumn where I will probably see or hear around a dozen birds or so. It was dry and bright first thing this morning and quite mild too as I went about at 6am this morning checking the moth box and the surrounding area.


One of two Turnip Moths.

A total of 88+ moths of 33+ species were present this morning and among these, only one was new for the year, the micro moth, White-bodied Conch (Neoconchylis hybridella). My second Sharp-winged Drill of the year (another micro moth) was also present on the white sheet behind the moth box and after seeing my first Straw Grass-veneer yesterday at Woolmer Pond, one was in my moth box this morning.


My second Sharp-winged Drill micro moth of the year. The first was seen in the Spring.

There was nothing much out of the ordinary regarding the macro moths, though two Turnip Moths was nice; but Garden Tigers were down to just the one individual. Vine’s Rustics are still abundant with at least 15 recorded, though a few more were seen flying off while I was checking. 


A Common Grass-veneer was only my second for the year within the moth box.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

  • 4 Willow Beauty
  • 2 Garden Carpet
  • 4 Square-spot Rustic
  • 2 Silver Y
  • 4 Brimstone Moth
  • 5 Double-striped Pug
  • 15 Vine’s Rustic
  • 1 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 1 Angle Shades
  • 1 Garden Tiger
  • 2 Turnip Moth
  • 3 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 3 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 2 White-point
  • 1 Small Dusty Wave
  • 1 Beautiful Plume
  • 2 Brown House Moth
  • 2 Apple Leaf Miner
  • 6 Box Tree Moth
  • 6 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 2 Mother of Pearl
  • 1 Bird-cherry Ermine
  • 2 Rusty-dot Pearl
  • 7 Common Plume
  • 1 Dingy Dowd
  • 1 Marsh Dowd
  • 1 White-bodied Conch
  • 1 Straw Grass-veneer
  • 1 Elbow-stripe Grass-veneer
  • 1 Dark Neb
  • 1 Garden Mompha
  • 1 Sharp-winged Drill


Yesterday, Both Emma and Matt Parkes took a trip to Lancing Ring, West Sussex to view the Long-tailed Blue butterflies that have been recently discovered there.



Above, a Silver-spotted Skipper at Mill Hill, near Lancing Ring. Below, the nationally rare Wood White butterfly at Oaken Wood, near Chiddingfold, Surrey. Both photos by Emma Parkes. 



The Square-barred Bell micro moth I potted earlier today.

I had earlier potted one of the micro moths from this morning's haul and later in the morning, I had the chance to check on it closely. I was pleased to find that this small moth was new to my life list, a Square-barred Bell (Epinotia tetraquetrana), which is now my 260th micro moth species in the UK.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...