Thursday, August 31, 2023

A late Swift over the Cemetery.

Thursday 31st August 2023.


Plenty of Buddleia was still growing in the Cemetery, though after todays rain, only a couple of butterflies were seen this afternoon.

Eventually, the rain finally let up and by 4pm, I could take my dogs out for their walk and of course, it was back over Highland Road Cemetery again. Yet again, they behaved themselves relatively well as I let them sniff a couple of dogs (with the consent of their owners) and thankfully, behaved themselves. My only concern over the Cemetery is that some dog owners let their dogs off their leads, which could lead to all sorts of trouble.


Above, there were at least six Robins seen today and below, a few House Sparrows were seen over on the west side of the Cemetery.



Above, a late Swift flew south high over the Cemetery, (sorry for the poor photo) which was totally unexpected. Below, a Great Black-backed Gull on the rooftops over on the east side.

Back to the wildlife, I didn't expect many insects on the wing, but I did see both a Small White and Holly Blue butterflies on my walk round and even a Migrant Hawker dragonfly was on the wing near the Holm Oak clump. There were a few birds of note seen on my walk round the Cemetery and included a Swift flying high over, heading slowly southbound. I tried to take a photo of the said bird, but looking through the viewing screen at the back of the camera, I simply could not locate the bird. However, somehow, I managed to get a record shot of the bird. They have all but disappeared from Southsea, though a few late birds will no doubt pass through.


Above, this male Blackbird was enjoying eating these berries and below, a Chiffchaff was in a nearby bush.

A couple of Chiffchaffs were also in the Cemetery, but again, not easy to get a photo. A larger number of species than yesterday, 17 species in all, was not a bad number, but I could do with something rarer within the Cemy. Time will tell. When I got home, there was another Chiffchaff calling in one of the back gardens.  


A rather tatty Holly Blue butterfly near the main footpath.

The following birds were recorded today at this site:

  • Herring Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Blackbird
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Swift
  • Chiffchaff
  • Goldfinch
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie   




From top to bottom: Eyed Hawk-moth caterpillar, Large Emerald moth and a Scorched Carpet moth. All photos taken by Paula Slape. The Caterpillar was found in her garden and the two moths were found at The Oaks Crematorium, where, incidentally, I am taking my moth box tomorrow night! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...