Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Moth numbers are still low for the time of year.

Thursday 31st August 2023.


The immigrant moth White-point. This is a common moth for this time of year.

Rain is forecast for today, coming in from the west and so I had to get a move on if I was to check my moth box this morning. Yes, I broke protocol by trapping two nights in a row, but I just had a feeling something interesting was going to turn up this morning. Sadly not. The usual moths were all present and correct, but there was no harm in trying was there? Spots of rain started falling while I was halfway checking the egg trays and so I had to get my ‘skates on’. There was nothing new to add to my year list, which currently stands at 246 species of the year, though that does include moths seen in both Andy’s garden and elsewhere.


Micro moths are still arriving and this morning, (above) Narrow-winged Grey's were in good numbers and below, my second Elbow-striped Grass-veneer of the year.

Just 39 moths of 18 species today and although the numbers were low, a couple of nice moths among them including a White-point and L-album Wainscot. 5 Narrow-winged Grey’s (Eudonia angustea) have risen in numbers and my second Elbow-striped Grass-veneer in my moth box this year (Agriphila geniculea) was a nice surprise. 


Just the one L-album Wainscot moth this morning.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

  • 2 Brimstone Moth
  • 1 Silver Y
  • 4 Willow Beauty
  • 1 Small Dusty Wave
  • 3 Lime-speck Pug
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Square-spot Rustic
  • 2 Marbled Beauty
  • 2 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 2 Vines Rustic
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 White-point
  • 1 Ruddy Streak
  • 7 Box Tree Moth
  • 3 Apple Leaf Miner
  • 1 Broom Shoot Moth
  • 5 Narrow-winged Grey
  • 1 Elbow-striped Grass-veneer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...