Monday, June 19, 2023

My first ever Lizard Orchids.

Monday 19th June 2023.


One of at least ten Lizard Orchids I saw this morning at a secret location

Fellow Birder and nature lover, Emma Parkes, had put a photo on the ’ Lazee’  Whatsapp site of a Lizard Orchid, which is quite a scarce species here on the south coast, but the details of exactly where I shall have to omit because of its secret location. Emma kindly gave me the actual site and this morning, I went along to go and view this gorgeous plant for myself.


Above, both Kidney Vetch and below, Tufted Vetch was present along with Ox-eye Daisies at the site.

Parking up near the site, I took the directions sent to me and already, I could see several Pyramidal Orchids on display close to the main footpath. But it did not take me long to spot one of the Lizard Orchids showing proudly amongst the tall grass near the main footpath and in fact, I found at least 10 plants in all and that was without trudging through the long grass to find them. They are relatively tall plants, standing some 14 to 20 inches in height and quite spectacular too’ a species that I have not ever seen before, hence the short trip to see them.


Above, a Rough Hawkbit (left) growing next to a Pyramidal Orchid. Below, a Meadow Grasshopper on brambles.

Other typical chalky grassland plants nearby included both Kidney and Tufted Vetch as well as Ox-eye Daisy and all these plants were attracting a lot of Marbled White butterflies and a few Meadow Brown’s. Though I did not have a lot of time on my hands, I enjoyed the 15 minutes or so I had here. A Chiffchaff was seen singing from an overhead wire and a Mistle Thrush was heard singing nearby as well.


Marbled White butterflies on the wing at today's site.

Earlier today, on my first shift in Old Portsmouth, a calling Grey Wagtail flew low over my head, heading southbound towards the seafront. A non-breeder perhaps? I didn't put the moth box on last night and regretted it as my body clock went off at 4am this morning! Groan! Yesterday afternoon, there were a few waders present down Farlington Marshes that included a Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Common Snipe, 5 Grey Plover and up to 56 Black-tailed Godwit. Birding pal, Geoff Farwell, took a trip yesterday to Noar Hill where he saw a pair of Firecrests tending to a newly fledged brood. Also present were 3 Common Whitethroat, 3 Chiffchaff, Marsh Tit and 2 Grey Partridge. Both Dark Green Fritillary and Small Blue butterflies were seen plus a huge show of Orchids growing too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...