Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A Peregrine over the garden.

Wednesday 21st June 2023.


Left, a juvenile House Sparrow perched in our Pyracantha while Dad Sparrow searches for a juicy insect for its youngster.

I spent just ten minutes out in my back garden this evening, hoping to get some photos of the delightful juvenile House Sparrows being fed by their parents. Up to three wing-quivering youngsters were seen begging to be fed as the parents frantically searched the shrubs and trees around my garden and occasionally popping onto the feeders to grab a Suet Pellet to either feed themselves or ground it down to feed one of the youngsters. 


Above, the youngster is still waiting and below, two of the three juveniles in search of food.



As well as a few Swifts making an appearance over the house, so did a couple of adult Mediterranean Gulls.

Anyway, it was interesting to watch as the youngsters followed and watched their parents in search of a tasty insect for them. All part of the learning process for these delicate birds in their early part of life; with the parents ever watchful for danger from the local Sparrowhawk or one of the Cats in the area.





The male Peregrine was flying over Southsea tonight.

While checking the Sparrows, a superb male Peregrine was seen flying high eastbound over Southsea, seen from my garden and thankfully, I had my camera to hand, though I think I shall raise the shutter speed to get clearer photos in the future. Still, I was pleased with these I have put on my blog tonight. It seems Peregrines are doing very well this year with both Winchester and Chichester birds raising good numbers of offspring. Both Emma Parkes and Christine Whiffen have taken some amazing photos of the birds of late. 


Above and below, Emma Parkes took these superb photos of the Peregrines at Winchester Cathedral.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...