Thursday, June 15, 2023

A young Fox takes up residence in my garden.

Thursday 15th June 2023.


I was in for a surprise this morning when I spotted this young Fox that had been sleeping in our Shed. Here, it is enjoying a plate of Tuna. 

All the usual birds were seen today with no real surprises, but early this morning before we all headed off to work, I found a young Fox had been living in our little shed within our garden! I thought I had heard something rustling away within the shed yesterday when I was checking the moths and I also had a quick glimpse from the corner of my eye and dismissed it as a Cat. However, having heard it again early this morning, I got suspicious and then out popped a very young Fox looking at me looking at it!


Not the clearest photo, but taken with my mobile phone camera, I had to take this photo quickly for not wanting to spook the young Fox. Isabelle's bike is in the foreground! 

I took a few quick crappy photos (for my wife, who loves Foxes, would never have believed me) and then showed my wife who told me to open a can of Tuna and put it out for the Fox. It took several minutes, but the Fox took the bait and gladly scoffed down the Tuna in two separate sittings. Then it disappeared again back in the shed to sleep as I expected. I did put out a bowl of water for it, though it looked as though it had not drank any yet.


The young Fox tucking into its breakfast this morning.

I saw a few Mediterranean Gulls around today including at least two flying over my garden late afternoon, but very little else on my travels today. It is the last episode of Springwatch 2023 tonight and with Michaela dropping a hint that Autumnwatch could be on this year, we will look forward to that. The moth box is back on tonight and it should be another very warm evening ahead, which in turn, should bring in another large haul of moths.  


This cracking portrait of a Sand Martin was taken by Emma Parkes at Blashford Lakes today.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...