Friday, June 16, 2023

A new moth 'lifer' in highest total this year.

Friday 16th June 2023.


This tiny micro moth was a new addition to my moth life list. Thankfully, I managed to get an ID on the moth, Ectoedemia decentella.  

There were even more moths than yesterday this morning and again, a good variety too that threw up another 7 new moth species for the year. Another balmy night produced the goods and with thunderstorms predicted over the weekend, it could throw up something rare. I was up at ‘stupid o’clock’ (4.15am) this morning, making sure I beat the Sparrows before they attack my moths. Yep, same story everytime I go ‘moth-ing’. I still have at least 8 moths to double check in the pots later today and also going to try my luck in getting some decent photos of them too.


A Common Rustic agg. (the moth has to be dissected to establish its true identity. No thanks!)  New for the year though.

Pick of the many this morning has to go down to another Lifer. This time it was a micro moth and a very tiny individual at that. I searched and searched for the moth in my Field Guide to Micro Moths of Great Britain and Ireland book, but failed to find the moth and so I resorted to the Facbook page of UK Micro moths where some chap identified it later that morning as Ectoedemia decentella or its vernacular name of Sycamore-seed Pygmy. A cracking little moth and not easy to photograph either.  


The quite beautiful Argyresthia brockeella micro moth.

Among the macro moths, Dwarf Cream Wave, Varied Coronet and Common Rustic were added to my year list and on the macro moths, Celypha striana, Eudonia lacustrata and the attractive Gold Triangle and very small Argyresthia brockeella were also added. 14 Willow Beauty and 10 Riband Wave were the most numerous species this morning, dotted about near the moth box and within it. A total of at least 92 moths of 33 species logged this morning and with several still in pots to be identified later today, that total will increase. 


Small Cream Wave was another addition to my year list.

There was no sign of the young Fox this morning, which I assume either out exploring or simply fast asleep. It is going to be another very warm day here on the south coast and I am just hoping that it might last into tomorrow. The moth box will be on again tonight and no doubt a very early start to the day. 


Codling Moth.

While I think of it, I read fellow Birder, Andy Johnson’s entry to the latest HOS magazine which explained the travesty going on around the Black and Sandy Point area. An area of international importance for roosting waders, it was constantly being disturbed by Dog-walkers, Paddle Boarders and simply Human interference of which Andy and many others found extremely frustrating. He makes the point of how on earth did a Paddle Board company be set up at Sparkes Marina near this sensitive site? I have seen first hand the disturbance the birds have to put up with and it certainly makes me seethe with anger.    


Gold Triangle.

I also like to acknowledge in the same magazine fellow Birder, Andy Tew’s contribution too. Andy takes damn good photos of which he kindly allows me to put on my Blog. It was nice to find out a little more about yourself, mate.


Eudonia lacustrata.

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 14 Willow Beauty
  • 1 Common Rustic (NFY)
  • 3 Common Pug
  • 6 Lime-speck Pug
  • 2 White Ermine
  • 5 Heart & Dart
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 2 Dark Arches
  • 10 Riband Wave
  • 5 Garden Carpet
  • 1 Marbled Minor
  • 1 Green Pug
  • 1 Dwarf Cream Wave (NFY)
  • 5 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Common Marbled Carpet
  • 1 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 2 Varied Coronet (NFY)
  • 1 Anania coronata
  • 1 Bramble Shoot Moth
  • 2 Bee Moth
  • 1 Crassa unitella
  • 2 Blastobasis lacticolella
  • 9 Ephestia woodiella
  • 2 Celypha striana (NFY)
  • 3 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 4 Diamond-back Moth
  • 1 Green Oak Tortrix
  • 2 Brown House Moth
  • 1 Codling Moth
  • 1 Eudonia lacustrata (NFY)
  • 1 Gold Triangle (NFY)
  • 1 Argyresthia brockeella (NFY)
  • 1 ECTOEDEMIA DECENTELLA (LIFER)


Two more micro moths that were new for the year included (above) a Bramble Shoot Moth and (below) Celypha striana.



Above, there were two Varied Coronet moths sharing the same area of brick wall near my moth box.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...