Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Spotted Flycatcher added to year list.

Tuesday 23rd May 2023.


The Spotted Flycatcher that was seen at The Paddocks this morning.

Straight after my first shift, I took a drive over to Hayling Island in search for these Spotted Flycatchers that had been seen over the past week. They have been in good numbers there of late, with possibly 6 birds there yesterday evening. Mr Fisher had already been over there earlier this week and was successfully in adding this species to his year list and so, I thought I would try my luck. The weather looked good with a nice breeze and warm sunshine.


Above, the female Green Woodpecker and below, a male Syrphus species of Hoverfly sunning itself.

Parking up in the Garage car park and then taking the bridle path south-east, I came across a female Green Woodpecker flying low in front of me and then it perched on a fence post and gave good views. Another Green Woodpecker was also seen on a fence post a little later. I joined a couple of other elderly Birders who were also looking for the Spotted Flycatchers, though they had already seen two birds before I arrived. We walked further east and then took the footpath south to see if we could find any more birds. Sadly not, but a Common Whitethroat and a Goldfinch were in full song right behind where we stood.


Above, a Goldfinch by the main bridle path and below, good numbers of Mediterranean Gull flew overhead.

The two Birders decided to move further south, but I wanted to retrace my steps and slowly make my way back to the car. A couple of Swallows hawked for insects low over the Blackthorn Bushes and overhead, good numbers of Mediterranean Gulls flew over heading east towards Chichester Harbour. All the neighbouring fields were full of Creeping Buttercup, which would most certainly attract a lot of Butterflies and Bees as the day warmed up of which I saw several Holly Blue’s and a Red Admiral on the wing.


Above, the heavy scent of flowering Blackthorn was in the air and below, the fields were full of Creeping Buttercup.

There was a large garden to the west of the main bridle path and from here, I saw a Spotted Flycatcher flying from a small tree down to the ground and picking off something and then returning to the same tree. This it typically repeated several times as I managed to grab some nice photos of the bird perched in the tree. Earlier this week, the Isle of Portland had a count of 282 Spotted Flycatchers recorded yesterday, with over a 100+ before 7am!! Hopefully, it's going to be a good year for this species. Happy with my 184th species of the year, I made my way back to the car, but not before treating myself to a ‘Greggs' and then home.  A Temminck's Stint was reported this morning at Pennington Marshes again, though I was hoping the one on Sidlesham Ferry Pool was still present, but no reports yet.


Another photo of today's Spotted Flycatcher.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...