Monday, May 22, 2023

Just one new moth for the year.

Tuesday 23rd May 2023.


The micro moth Notocelia cynosbatella was new for the year.

My trick this morning was to put out the Dried Mealworms by the bird feeders before the House Sparrows came down to gorge on my moths and while I was checking the moth box, it most certainly worked. I was up at 4.45am this morning and with a hot cup of coffee to relax me, I got stuck in my moths. It was a little breezy this morning, with a clear blue sky overhead, but the weather forecast today looks settled.


One of three Pale Mottled Willow's. 

There were 33 moths of 14 species present this morning, but the only moth new for the year was the micro moth, Notocelia cynosbatella, a rather smart striking little moth. Two pristine Cabbage Moths were on the outside egg trays and at least two Yellow-barred Brindle were outside the box. As soon as I packed everything away and made my way back into the kitchen, then the Sparrows came to hunt for my moths. Fortunately, most flew off as I encourage them to do so, but they always seem to find some of them. They have young to feed and ‘live’ food is always a bonus to them.


One of two Cabbage Moths today.

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 2 Vine’s Rustic
  • 1 Freyer’s Pug
  • 2 Cabbage Moth
  • 4 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 2 Garden Carpet
  • 3 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 Silver Y
  • 1 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Yellow-barred Brindle
  • 1 Notocelia cynosbatella (NFY)
  • 11 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 2 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 1 Bryotropha affinis
  • 1 Platyedra subcinerea


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...