Saturday, May 27, 2023

Our first full day at Center Parcs.

Saturday 27th May 2023.


The moth box is up and running at Center Parcs.

My wife decided that she needed a family break and so booked Center Parcs, near Warminster, several months ago. I personally think it is one of the most expensive places to stay in the UK, but is it value for money? The jury is out on that one, but for wildlife, it is simply superb. That definitely ticks my boxes in that respect. We arrived here around 8pm last night (driving to and going through Salisbury was a nightmare) and on entry to our chalet within the ‘Pines’ area, I quickly got my moth box built (Andy’s moth box) and running before we all made our way to get something to eat and drink.


Tawny-barred Angle moth.


Scoparia ambigualis.


Spruce Carpet.

The weather forecast was looking very good for this weekend and so I did not pack a rainguard for my moth box, but was rewarded at 5.30am this morning with 8 new moths for my year list. Afterwards, I checked out the area and at the back of our Chalet, there is a long lake that could be very interesting. Siskins were calling high up in the Pines, but none were seen unfortunately (I am sure I will see some later today), while there were singing Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Robins were all around. Coal, Blue and Great Tits were around the trees and a short walk later in the morning produced sightings of a Treecreeper and a few Chaffinches.


Common Pug.


Small Phoenix.


Red Twin-spot Carpet.

To be honest, I was expecting a lot more moths and there were none at all on the egg trays resting by the moth box. All the moths were on the wooden plats and brickwork on the walls of the Chalet, but at least there were quite a few there. I was pleased to find two Dwarf Pugs, which was a ‘lifer’ for me and a familiar moth in Pine forests. A cracking Small Phoenix moth was found near the moth box and plenty of Carpet species including a smart Red Twin-spot Carpet. Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 3 Dwarf Pug (LIFER)
  • 2 Spruce Carpet (NFY)
  • 2 Tawny-barred Angle (NFY)
  • 1 Common Pug
  • 1 Small Phoenix (NFY)
  • 1 Pine Carpet 
  • 1 Foxglove Pug (NFY)
  • 1 Red Twin-spot Carpet (NFY)
  • 1 Scoparia ambigualis (NFY)


My first ever Dwarf Pug was warmly received.


Spruce Carpet.


The view from the front of our Chalet.

The day has only just begun as I write this and while having our respective breakfasts and looking out of the patio window, we already have seen a Muntjac Deer, three Mallard, Moorhen, lots of Squirrels and as the day heats up, hopefully some Dragonflies and Butterflies will be on the wing.


This Bugle plant was growing abundantly near the Chalet.


Dog Violets were growing at the back of the Chalet.


There were plenty of birds coming down to the patio especially after one of the girls put out a load of peanuts for the birds and Squirrels, including this male Blackbird.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...