Thursday, April 20, 2023

Whitethroat & Reed Warbler at Milton Lakes.

Thursday 20th April 2023.


My first Common Whitethroat of the year at Milton Lakes.

I had some free time this morning and for a nice change, I took a walk around Milton Lakes, over on the eastern side of Portsmouth. A cloudless sky but a breezy north westerly kept me cool on my walk around as earlier parked up in Moorings Way and cut across the field to take the coastal path anticlockwise. This is a prime area for both Reed Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Blackcap and occasionally, Sedge Warblers; though the latter is rarely seen here now (they used to be common here). So my chances were high for this time of year.


Above, a pair of Linnets showed well on the brambles and above, another photo of the showy Common Whitethroat.

And of course, both the Reed Warblers and Common Whitethroats duly obliged. It was good to see one large area of scrub has been closed off from dog walkers in order not to disturb any breeding birds here and as I neared the first main lake, Swan Lake, I could hear a couple of Whitethroats calling in the distance. Nearby, a male Kestrel was seen hovering over the scrub and a Blackcap was singing briefly in a tall tree, but out of view within the swaying branches. 


A few butterflies were on the wing including a few Peacock's (above) and a couple of Small White butterflies. 

A large flock of Starlings were swirling about around the brambles, but constantly put up by the dog walkers until flying off north as I got to hear my first Reed Warblers of the year by the southern end of Swan Lake. I patiently stood near the lake overlooking the small reedbed. A Grey Heron was seen trying to hide between the swaying reeds, but I could just make out its top half of its body, though it remained motionless. There has been another report of a Black-crowned Night Heron and this time in Hampshire. However, I had read reports of some bad behavior from some birders with this bird showing up in Stockbridge, which is simply not welcome in our hobby.


Above, a small flock of Tufted Duck were on Swan Lake and below, this male Greenfinch was singing by the Lake.

A Swallow flew low overhead as I waited for the Reed Warbler to put in an appearance and a Cetti’s Warbler burst into song and then flew across my path and landed deep within a nearby bramble. As quick as a flash, a probable Reed Warbler flew out of a nearby bramble and then deep within the reeds. Fortunately, around 5 minutes later, it showed very well for all of ten seconds for me to claim my first of the year. Happy with my sighting, I made my way to the edge of Langstone Harbour to take the footpath north. At least two Reed Warblers were heard singing in just the one area.


Above, Alexander Plants were growing abundantly by the harbour wall and below, a female Syrphus species of Hoverfly enjoying the Dandelions.

On Swan Lake, there were a few Little Grebes and a small flock of Tufted Ducks among a few Mallards and a pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls. There was a steady stream of Swallows going through north during my hour or so there which was superb to see, but no other Hirundines among them. I did get the briefest of views of a singing male Blackcap between Swan and Duck Lake, but a male Greenfinch was far more obliging. Another Reed Warbler was singing within the reedbed at the northern end of Swan Lake, but again, a no-show.


Above, a Little Grebe on Swan Lake and below, a Queen Buff-tailed Bumble Bee on the footpath. She is carrying a ball of pollen, which indicates that she has already found a nest and is either about to lay eggs or is already incubating.

Rounding the end of the Lakes and Memorial Seats, I made my way back along the footpath at the back of the Lakes. From here, I kept a sharp ear out for any warblers singing and quickly came across another Common Whitethroat singing, but I just could not find the bird. However, all was not lost as I came across a very showy individual in the brambles near the southern half of Swan Lake. It was a skulky individual at first and kept deep within the brambles until flying up into a tall bush and began singing and showing very well.


Above, one of the pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls on Swan Lake. Below, clumps of various colours of Bluebells were around the Lakes.



The Notice put out for passing dog walkers and ramblers on Milton Lakes.

A few butterflies were on the wing here including a Brimstone and at least two Peacock butterflies. A few Hoverflies and Bees were noted along the footpath and just waiting for confirmation on what species they are. A few plants noted on my walk included a good many clumps of Bluebells, including the pale blue, light purple and white individuals. Alexander was growing prolifically along the harbour wall and Ribwort Plantain was nearly in flower. Thankfully, there were not too many dog walkers present today and at times, hardly anyone around to disturb this lovely area of Portsmouth.     


This singing male Common Whitethroat was at Milton Lakes this morning.

This afternoon, I was chatting with my neighbours, checking out the Hoverflies and Bees that were in good numbers in my back garden including more Syrphus species of Hoverfly. Sadly, I didnt have my camera to hand as my first Holly Blue butterfly fluttered past. Fortunately, it hung around for my neighbours to see too as it went back and forth in our respective gardens. Later this afternoon, some of the 'Lazee Birders' went up to the north of the county to view the Night Heron and Andy Tew managed to get some decent photos of the bird (see below). I hear the vast majority of birders behaved themselves, but there were a few idiots being stupid just to get the 'money shot' and being rude to the locals.


The Stockbridge Night Heron today. Photo by Andy Tew.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...