Sunday, April 16, 2023

Peregrine over the Cemy.

Sunday 16th April 2023.


Somewhere over the rainbow.............

I had the pleasure of taking our Granddaughter, Isabelle, over to Highland Road Cemetery, so she could ride her pushbike and I could grab some photos while I was over there. True, I spend most of my time giving her all of my attention, but I do point out some of the nature that is present there. She does like nature, but in relatively small doses. For example, she was fascinated with watching Blood / Spider Mites on our patio within the garden ( I have never seen them before in my garden), for she has never ever seen them before. I also pointed out the male and female Hairy-footed Flower Bees going about their business in the garden too, but she still has this child-like fear of Bees still. 


Above and below, the male Peregrine is high over the Cemetery.

I think I roughly saw around 15 species around the Cemetery, but most of that was going by bird songs and calls. However, I did see a male Peregrine soaring very high over the Cemetery and managed to get a few photos of the bird. Though to be honest, my Nikon P900 does struggle to get a sharp photo of such distant birds. I am struggling at the moment to Photoshop my photos on my Laptop, so I might have to pop into Curry’s for them to look at what is going wrong.


Above, we watched this male Blackbird searching in the cut grass for food. Below, a Herb Robert flowering in the Cemy; my first one seen this year.



Above, even the Horse Chestnut is starting to flower, with these 'spikes; now on show.

I couldn't find any migrants within the Cemetery, although I was sure I did hear a Blackcap singing very briefly. A few more plants are out for the first time including a few Herb Robert plants and the leaves are really coming out on the Horse Chestnut trees now. This is encouraging for the insects and obviously for the birds passing through. Hopefully, a Redstart or even a Pied Flycatcher might be noted over the coming weeks? Isabelle had a great time riding her bike and then playing a few games within the Cemy until we eventually made our way home for more activities in our back garden! When she is in my company, she gets me 100% and always has my undivided attention; so when she takes an interest in any nature, it's what I live for.


The Black-winged Stilt on Ibsley Water entertained the crowds. Photo by Emma Parkes.

Hot news on the birding front today was the finding of a Black-winged Stilt on Ibsley Water, Blashford Lakes. A good many of the ‘Lazee Birders’ connected with the bird, including Emma Parkes, for the bird was a ‘lifer’ for her and she has kindly allowed me to put some of her superb photos of the bird on my blog today. Many thanks Emma.  Also today, I got a text from birding pal Nigel Sivyer that he saw at least two Nightingales were back at Marlpit Lane, on the West Sussex border. Up to four singing male Nightingales were also at Whiteley Pastures, so I shall pop along to one of these destinations shortly.


The Black-winged Stilt on Ibsley Water. There has been a mini influx of this species in the UK including another bird on the Isle of Wight. Photos by Emma Parkes.





 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...