Saturday, April 1, 2023

Our North Yorkshire holiday has begun.

Saturday 1st April 2023.


Water Hill Farm Cottages where we are staying for the week.

We made the long 287 mile journey to the farmhouse Cottage we had hired for the week today, all set for a relaxing (hopefully!) holiday up in North Yorkshire. Our Cottage was situated on a working Farm in the countryside near the village of Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, some five miles from Thirsk and the long journey up, to be honest, wasn't too bad. I have never been up to this area before, though in the past, I have been to South Yorkshire many times.


This male Pheasant came into roost and landed on one of the barns.

Sadly, no moth box, but it should produce a few interesting sightings and having had a couple of quick walks around the area, I already had seen a few notable birds and plants in the area. A stream runs parallel to the Farm which I believe is called Thirlby Beck (according to Google Maps) and possibly could hold Dipper and Grey Wagtail. Above the Stream, there is a long row of tall trees that hold a colony of Rooks that are busy nesting and with good numbers of Jackdaws around, it certainly is noisy with the Covids here.


Above, a pair of Common Buzzards flying over the fields nearby. Below, the stream called Thirlby Beck was running right by the Farm Cottages.

Our Isabelle joined me in the walks and though keeping an 8 year old happy is by far not easy at all, so it's a case of pointing out everything to her and educating her and keeping her interested. She even has her own binoculars which I brought with me. I had a good chat with the owner of the Farm and the 6 Cottages here and he told me that there were a lot of Badgers here (though he is not keen on the numbers here) as well as Bats, Foxes and a Tawny Owl. The possibility of a Little Owl is certainly not out of the question, but after a late walk this evening, I did not see or hear any.


Above, part of the Rookery by the Cottages. Below, my first White Dead-nettle of the year growing amongst Red Dead-nettle.

The drive up here produced the expected Common Buzzards and Red Kites, but I was too busy keeping my eye on the busy traffic as I did (and volunteered) all the driving. On arrival, while unpacking all the cases, a large flock of 50+ Redwing flew overhead towards the fields and also at least 10 Siskins were noted flying over. Other sightings included several Linnets and 2 Yellowhammers flying over and Goldcrest were heard in the trees opposite the Farm. While spending around 20 minutes outside the building as it got dark, I could hear a Curlew making its ‘bubbling’ call way in the distance. A pair of Common Buzzards rounded off the evening as they flew over the fields that hold both Alpacas and Chickens. I shall probably be up at first light to check the woods, fields and stream and the main Farmhouse has active bird feeders attracting a few birds too. Should be good!       


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...