Monday, March 27, 2023

Three Firecrests in the Cemy!

Monday 27th March 2023.


One of three Firecrests seen in the Cemetery today. This one is a female. I dont think that I have ever had more than one in the Cemy all the time I have been coming here.

Though the  sun was out and shining brightly, the temperature wasn't all that warm and I don't think it even got into double figures, especially when I took a walk around my ‘local patch’, Highland Road Cemetery. There was always a chance of an early migrant in the Cemy today and so taking a leisurely stroll along my usual route, as per usual, I kept an eye on all the nature within this little jewel of a place in the middle of Southsea.


Above, the Starlings are starting to look smart in the summer dress. Below, several Wrens were seen today including this singing male bird. 



Above, singing Robins were abundant today in various locations throughout this site. 

Surprisingly, I couldn't find one Chiffchaff within the Cemy, but to make up for that, I found at least THREE Firecrests flitting around the Buddleia bushes not far from the Holm Oak clump. When I first came across the first bird, it was flitting about in one of the bushes then it flew up into one of the Holm Oaks and promptly disappeared within all the foliage. Disappointed that I wasn't going to get a photo of the bird, I heard another two calling behind me and they showed reasonably well for at least 15 minutes. This was a pair and both busied themselves searching for tiny insects within the leaves, but trying to get a reasonable photo with a Bridge Camera is not easy as they are restless little birds.




More photos of the showy Firecrests today. 

A total of 18 bird species were recorded this morning and that included the female Sparrowhawk gliding high overhead. I think she was trying to attract her mate as she slowly flapped while gliding and then drifted off north. A pair of Mediterranean Gulls were first heard calling and then I picked them up flying southbound towards the Solent. They are starting to get regular now on my walks and should be seen often when I am walking around my patch. 


Above, the female Sparrowhawk is soaring high over the Cemy. Below, I normally wait for around 15 minutes by this Conifer on the footpath and simply wait to see what passes by or overhead and quite often, yielding some surprising results.

The birds seen and heard this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Mediterranean Gull (2)
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Blue Tit
  • Firecrest (3)
  • Blackbird
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Wren
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Robin
  • Sparrowhawk (f)


A Yellow-legged Mining Bee on a Daisy.

On the insect front, both Hairy-footed Bumble Bee’s and Yellow-legged Mining Bees were on show in good numbers and within the Heather grave, at least four Honey Bees were seen. My first Small Tortoiseshell butterfly of the year flew past at pace across the Cemetery, but sadly did not settle.




Above, male (all black) and female (brown) Hairy-footed Flower Bees enjoying nectaring on Red Dead-nettle.

All the usual plants were in bloom that included Daisies, Dandelions, Common Speedwell, Red Dead-nettle, Smooth Sow-thistle and my first Lesser Celandine of the year in the Cemetery. Hopefully, a few more species will be on show the next time I walk around here. A lot of the trees are starting to bud now, noticeably the Horse Chestnut trees around near the Mausoleum, which will provide a lot of food for the local Squirrels. All we need now is a few passing Goshawks to pop in, lol!


Above, my first Lesser Celandine of the year within the Cemetery and below, the female Sparrowhawk seen today.






  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...