Monday, April 3, 2023

Another Yorkshire update.

Monday 3rd April 2023.


Yellowhammers have always remained distant here so far, but always a welcome addition to the holiday list.

A very cold frosty start to the day this morning, but I couldn't resist taking a small walk before breakfast at 8am around the Farmland. But before going on about that, yesterday was quite a busy day as we made our way to both the town of Thirsk for a look around and a bit of lunch and then on off to the New Inn, near Leeds, for the ladies to go on their excursion to the Emmerdale Farm tourist site (a Xmas present I bought the ladies last year). Meanwhile, Russ, Isabelle and myself spent the next couple of hours in the Pub garden, enjoying nice views of both Common Buzzards and Red Kites drifting low overhead!




From top to bottom; the trees and bushes are now in full bloom, which in turn attracts the many Bumble Bees present as well as the singing Chiffchaffs which seem to be abundant here.

Earlier Sunday morning, a nice walk around the fields to the back of the Farm had a few notable sightings. At least 3 Yellowhammers were seen flying over and the occasional Siskin went over too. At least three singing Chiffchaffs were seen and heard in nearby trees, including one showing well in the large Copse behind the other Holiday camp nearby. Though the Rooks by the Farm are noisy, the distinctive call of a Tawny Owl hooted briefly, but I could not locate the bird.


Above, a male Blackbird searching for breakfast on the frosty lawn in front of the main House. Below, a male Pied Wagtail on the short grass among the Alpacas.

At dusk, I took another walk, hoping for an Owl or two showing, but I was not in luck. I did, however, I did see a female Mandarin fly over, following the small river and then return back again to disappear into the gloom. A Common Buzzard decided to spook all the Rooks by flying through the Rookery behind the Farm and the result was a cloud of noisy Corvids getting up in blind panic! There were no sign of any Bats or Moths flying around, but I did predict a frost the following morning as the temperatures plummeted. I was really hoping for a Little Owl around here, but I am wondering if they are this far north in the UK?


Above, the female Pied Wagtail in the Alpaca field and below, one of the two Redwing up in the nearby trees near the river.

This morning, it was most certainly frosty, but this did not deter me from taking a brief walk before breakfast. Isabelle came along with me because she wanted to take some photos of the Alpacas up in the field nearby. Walking up to the field to the songs of Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Dunnock and Song Thrush in our ears, I picked out a pair of Pied Wagtails searching for insects on the short turf; but Isabelle was not interested in them as she took several photos of the animals instead! A pair of Red-legged Partridges were flushed in the grass nearby and headed off over the fields. I thought I heard one calling yesterday, but failed to locate the bird.



Above, a Drone Fly enjoying the early morning sunshine and below, one of the two Red-legged Partridge in the dried grass near the edge of the fields. 

On the way back, I heard some Redwing in the trees nearby and eventually saw a pair of birds high up in the trees before they flew off. After breakfast, I took a longer walk around the fields by the Farm, but this time on my own. The track leading north was a bit boggy with all that rain from recent days and so I carefully made my way to the small copse nearby. A Nuthatch was calling frequently and seen high up in a distant tree. A flock of 15+ Linnet was on the edge of the Copse, with a few Goldfinch and Chaffinch among them and overhead, a small group of Yellowhammers flew overhead and another male bird was seen high up in an old tree across the fields.


Above, after flushing a Hare, it ran off over the fields. At least one more was seen in the neighbouring fields later on. Below, the flock of Canada Geese flying high over the Farm.

The local Herring Gulls and Corvids went ballistic when a Common Buzzard circled high above them as some of the Corvids gave chase. A flock of 10 Canada Geese then flew high across the Farm, which was a surprise, but there was no sight or sound of any of the Curlews I have heard recently here. I shall have to explore further afield. The scrubby areas around the fields attracted the Red-legged Partridges as I spotted them running through the straw coloured grass and then out of site. I also flushed, to my surprise, a Hare, that then ran off over the fields. It or another individual was seen in the long dead grass adjacent to the Copse in a neighbouring field of which I managed to grab a few photos. I then made my way home only to get a moaning at for taking the car keys with me! Doh!


Above, the Herring Gulls all took off when a passing Common Buzzard soared overhead and below, Garbutt Wood Nature Reserve in the background distantly behind the Farm.

It seems I have been missing some quality birds back down in Hampshire. A male Pied Flycatcher was found by Fishlake Meadows and the photos on the ‘Lazee’s’ Whatsapp site are superb. A Snow Bunting was found by Portchester Castle yesterday, which got all the ‘year-listers’ buzzing. Osprey, Hirundines, Hobby, Arctic Tern and plenty of other migrants were also found and this morning, news came through of a Hoopoe briefly in someone's garden at Sutton Scotney and a drake Garganey on Posbrook Floods!


A few Lesser Celandine flowers were seen along the hedgerows and below, some of the Linnets seen in the Copse behind the Farm.

Apart from Chiffchaffs, I have not seen any other migrants here in North Yorkshire yet, but I am confident in finding something of note soon. Even a Swallow would be nice!      

  


Above, this beautiful male Pied Flycatcher entertained the crowds at Fishlake Meadows yesterday. Photo by Andy Friend. This bird was ringed as a nestling on the 5th June 2019 at Strid, Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire. Below, an immature Little Gull gracing Farlington Marshes. Photo by Andy Tew.


Later this evening, a male Kestrel was seen perched on an overhead wire near the Alpaca Field behind the Farm and later seen hovering around the scrubby area adjacent to the same field. We went into Thirsk tonight for a delicious meal in one of the local restaurants. On return to the Cottage, I took a late stroll around by the Alpaca Field, keeping an eye on anything of note within the area. Again, no Owls on show, despite clear, cloudless and still conditions, though a party of three Mandarin Ducks flew through the Rookery, this time two females and a drake. Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and singing Robins were still in good voice as I made my way back into the warmth of our Cottage. Back in Hampshire, the discovery of an Alpine Swift over Posbrook Floods with Hirundines sent the 'Lazee Birders' in a frenzy and some superb photos were grabbed by Emma Parkes who kindly allowed me to put them on my blog (see below).


Above and below, this evenings Alpine Swift over Posbrook Floods. Photos by Emma Parkes.



Sunset over the fields of Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe.












   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...