Friday, April 7, 2023

My first Swallow of the year.

Thursday 6th April 2023.


This Nuthatch showed well near the Farm in the rain this morning.

It was another wet start to the day, but the rain eventually moved away around 9am and, thankfully, our plans to go to York today were suddenly changed by the ladies in our family group. Phew! The thought of trouncing around in the rain in a strange Town was so unappetizing, it was like going back to Leeds again. So, instead of York, we went to nearby Monk Farm Park instead.


Above, it looked quite bleak over the hills nearby and below, the Willow Tit showed well this morning, below, but I struggled a bit in getting a decent photo of the bird as it flitted through the trees.

Before breakfast, I took one of my walks around the Farm we were staying at and despite the rain, there was plenty to look at again. The Willow Tit was present again, although this time not singing, but showed well near what we have called ‘Pooh Bridge’ and within the same area, good numbers of Chiffchaffs were present as well as a showy Nuthatch that sat for 30 seconds or so, right out in the open. A small flock of Long-tailed Tits flitted around the small bushes and trees and overhead, several Siskin flew by. Siskins seem to be everywhere this morning and a pair were seen in one of the fruit trees in front of the main House by the Farm.


Several Siskins were seen this morning including this gorgeous male bird above, in the fruit tree by the Farmhouse. Below, Long-tailed Tits were seen by 'Pooh Bridge'.

When I was making my way back, one of the Farm Hands stopped me and asked me if my Granddaughter would like to see a newborn calf that had been born around 6am this morning? So I quickly grabbed Isabelle and before long, we were watching the calf with its mother in one of the Barns along with many other Calves and pregnant Cows. The Farm Hand told me that a Tawny Owl is regular here and tends to perch on a post in front of the main building at night (Becky heard it a few nights ago!) and also a Barn Owl is present in the fields where the Alpacas are, but seems to come out at dusk. I shall be looking for it tonight, hopefully. While I was indoors for a while, I could hear a Bullfinch calling from the garden close by. So much ‘finch’ list here is growing well!


Above, one of the many Chiffchaffs seen this morning near 'Pooh Bridge' and below, the newborn Calf Isabelle and myself were allowed to see this morning.

Monk Farm Park is a huge area that breeds various types of Sheep, Goats, Alpacas and even a few Cows. Children can bottle feed the newborn lambs and there is a petting area inside a Barn that is also a big attraction for the children. Two newly born lambs suddenly got the crowds running for a view inside the Barn and our Sinead couldn't get enough of it! The whole area is virtually outside and of course, I am checking for anything of note for my ‘Nozzles’ (Blog!) and low and behold, while enjoying a nice cup of Hot Chocolate from the cafe, my first Swallow of the year flies over the area! Finally!


Above, my first Swallow of the year flying over the Park and below, one of several Common Buzzards seen also flying over the Park.

In fact, down at the far end of the Farm, there was a small lake that a good number of both Canada Geese and Mallard reside and when a passing heavy shower took everyone by surprise, we took shelter nearby and a pair of Swallows came in and flew around the Lake until disappearing off north. There was also a stream at the far end that attracted several Chiffchaffs and a few Long-tailed Tits. I pointed out to the guys a female Kestrel perched on a fence post some 80 yards away and though it was searching for anything on the short turf, it didn't seem to have much luck and eventually flew off. The obligatory Common Buzzard soared high overhead a few times and while taking a quick rest on a bench overlooking the Hills in the background, a Grey Wagtail flew over briefly as I pointed it out to Becky.


Above, the female Kestrel we all saw in one of the Sheep fields and below, I found this Chiffchaff having a bath by the edge of the Stream.

Still, I think we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves here despite my bad back and Becky's bad hip, lol! Isabelle really enjoyed herself, especially bottle feeding the lambs. The rain came back in during the early evening and therefore scuppered my chances in having a walk at dusk around the Farm. Never mind, it looks as though it is going to be a pleasant day tomorrow.       


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...