Thursday, February 16, 2023

Two moths caught this morning.

Thursday 16th February 2023.

My first Silver Y moth of the year and a very early one too this morning.

I had the moth box on overnight for only the 3rd time this year and I was rewarded with two moths. I didn't realise that there was going to be drizzly rain early this morning, though I should have checked the weather forecast last night. I couldn't see anything on the white sheet behind the moth box and so took the lid of the box and low and behold, behind the box was my first Silver Y moth of the year. Was this an immigrant moth that flew last night over the English Channel or was it overwintering here in the UK?


The putative Depressaria daucella in the pot this morning.

The second moth was a micro moth and I had to wait for an ID on a couple of Facebook moth sites for confirmation. At first, a Parsnip Moth looked the likely candidate and then Ben Sale reckoned it looked like the micro moth, Depressaria daucella and judging by the photographs of the latter moth, I would tend to agree with him. I released both moths tonight when it was dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...