Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Golden Plovers on Titchfield Haven.

Tuesday 14th February 2023.


No sign of any Little Owls, but a good number of Redwing present.  

I was reading last week that a Little Owl had been seen again at a place called Newlands Farm over in Stubbington. I have never been to this site and even looking it up on Google, it wasn't all that clear where it exactly was. The Owl had been seen last week and so, doing a bit of investigative work on Google Maps, I decided to give it a try. Luckily for me, it was very bright and sunny, with the early morning fog clearing when I arrived at Longmead Avenue,


A mixed flock of Lapwing and Golden Plover over Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve.

Parking the car up, I took the footpath south adjacent to the grounds of HMS Excellent where I kept an eye out for anything interesting. A Skylark was heard singing over the fields to the west and as I neared the end of the footpath, there was a large gathering of Redwing in the trees on the MOD site, with some birds sub-singing as well. On my approach, a good number flew off east into nearby trees and I was sure I heard a ‘chacking’ Fieldfare among them. At the end of the footpath, I took a right and walked down Tanners Lane which led into Stroud Green Lane and up to a small fishing pond. Sadly, no sign whatsoever of the Little Owl and to be honest, I wasn't even sure I was actually in the right place!


Another photo of the mixed flock of Golden Plover and Lapwing.

The walk back was rather quiet with a few Great Tits, Greenfinches and the Redwing seen on the way back to the car. My next destination was to be Hill Head, where I could check out Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve from the roadside. After consuming some grub I had bought on my way here, it was actually warm enough to leave my coat in the car. Very little was on the sea, bar a small flock of Brent Geese and a single Great Crested Grebe, so most of my attention was looking north over the River Meon and the reserve itself.


Above, the mixed flock of Golden Plover & Lapwing and below, a drake Gadwall on the River Meon.

I was checking the edges of the reedbed for a possible Water Rail but despite a good 45 minutes here, there was no sign of any at all. However, all was not lost as among a large flock of Lapwing flying over the reserve having been flushed by something, intermingled among them were at least a dozen or so Golden Plover, my first of the year. Happy days! The birds flew up with the Lapwing and then settled back down on the South Scrape in front of the Meonshore Hide. A little later, all the waders and gulls flew up again as a female Marsh Harrier was seen hunting over the reedbeds to the north and eventually settled on a large Willow to preen.


Above, the island on the River Meon held Oystercatcher, Lapwing and a Redshank, while both Gadwall and a Little Grebe were seen swimming beside it. Below, my view of the reserve from the roadside.

Near the roadside, a lone Black-tailed Godwit was feeding, while at least two pairs of Gadwall were dabbling in the shallow water along with a few Teal. Several Med Gulls flew in from the Solent and landed in front of the Meonshore Hide, while other Med Gulls flew off northbound up the valley. The cool weather soon took its toll and so I made my way back home.


Above, a pair of Gadwall on the River Meon and below, the female Marsh Harrier that put up all the waders on the reserve.

Yesterday, the big news was the juvenile Ross’s Gull that was found at Dorchester Water Meadows. There were no other Gulls present and therefore seeing the bird was going to be easy beside the roadside. However, the bird had disappeared overnight and no further sign today. I have been lucking enough to see two of these birds; my first a long time ago at Plymouth Hoe in Devon and my last one was on Radipole Lake, in Dorset. Both superb individuals. Will it be refound in Hampshire? Back in Hampshire, the Shorelark was still at Hurst and a Spoonbill was on Farlington Marshes along with at least 3 Short-eared Owls. I must get down to see these birds before they leave.  


The micro moth Acleris notana / ferrugana, which was found by Andy Fisher in his house recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...