Saturday, February 18, 2023

All three Woodpecker species at Acres Down.

Saturday 18th February 2023.


The male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on its tree within the woods of Acres Down. I had to wait an hour for the bird to show, but it was worth it. The same tree hosted a Great Spotted and a Green Woodpecker this morning! 

Andy could not make today as he had other arrangements, so I decided to go on my lonesome to Acres Down for a second bite of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. The common consensus was that the bird showed well early in the morning and so I left my house around 6.30am to be there for around 7.30am; ‘the early bird catches the worm’ and all that jazz! The weather was looking a bit ‘iffy’ with possible heavy cloud and drizzle towards midday, but that would not put me off one jot.


The Green Woodpecker, my first of the year (finally!), in the same tree earlier.

It was still dark while driving west along the M27 and turning off at the Stoney Cross turn off, a Common Buzzard was the first bird of note for my trip into the New Forest this morning. The bird flew low over the road and then headed off north over the heath. Parking up in the empty car park, I then made my way slowly down the footpath leading to the well known tree where the 'LSW' is seen the most. A couple of Firecrests were calling and flitting about in the trees by the car park and the sound of birdsong echoed throughout the woodland including Song Thrush, Robin, Blackbird and of course, the sound of ‘drumming’ Woodpeckers.


Above, another photo of the elusive Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in its favourite tree. Though it's been a year since I saw this species last, I still could not believe how small these birds actually are. Below, the woodland track through Acres Down.  

I made my way to ‘the tree’ and waited patiently for the bird to appear, but it took another hour for it to finally show. Meanwhile, a few birders arrived including one pair of guys who reckoned they had seen the bird very briefly, however, it disappeared into the woodland. I did hear it ‘drum’ distantly in the back of the woodland, but the sound of ‘drumming’ Great Spotted Woodpeckers was much louder including a male bird that perched in ‘the tree’ (see film footage). Up until now, I had not seen a Green Woodpecker this year and so with one calling behind me, I only had to wait a few minutes for the bird to actually fly overhead and land in ‘the tree’ to comfortably add this species to my year list! (see photo).


Stock Doves within Mark Ash Wood.

More birders arrived including a young lady who moved to Hampshire from Devon (sorry, never caught your name) who stood with me waiting patiently for the 'LSW' to show. A Crossbill was heard calling behind us and then I was lucky to see it fly over and head off over the woodland. A few Redwing flew over and a Nuthatch showed well within the trees. Long-tailed, Blue, Great and Marsh Tits were also seen and on the ground, both Blackbird and Song Thrush were busy upturning the leaf litter in search of their breakfast. Best of all was a Firecrest literally several feet above my head, but the light was not great and the sky was getting a lot darker with the threat of rain. 


A Mistle Thrush between a couple of male Chaffinches on the green opposite the car park at Bolderwood.

After an initial scare of a Great Spotted Woodpecker sitting on the topmost branch in ‘the tree’, eventually we all heard a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker ‘drumming’ again in the distance and we didn't have to wait long for the bird to pop up in ‘the tree’ and it showed well for around a couple of minutes; just long enough to grab a few photos of the bird before it flew off to a nearby tree for a few seconds and then disappearing into the woods. Well, at least I saw it and saw it well and therefore I made my way back to the car. A Goldcrest showed well briefly by the footpath as I made my way to the car.


This male Chaffinch came within a feet of where I stood by the Green, hoping for me to give it a bit of food. I had none on me and went back to the car to grab a morsel of food for it, I returned but the bird had flown.  

I then made my way to Mark Ash Wood to see if the Tawny Owl was in its regular tree. Nope! One of the huge trees had fallen nearby and was made safe by the Forestry Commission, but there wasn't much of note here despite a good look. I walked over onto the other side of the main road and took a stroll into the woodland here. Normally a good spot for both Brambling and Hawfinch, none were present so had to make do with a showy Nuthatch and a couple of Stock Doves perched on top of a tall tree.


One of a pair of Ravens flying over Bolderwood this morning.

I made my way back to the large Bolderwood car park and quickly checked the green opposite which hosted at least a dozen Chaffinches and a solitary Mistle Thrush. I did hear a singing Firecrest deep within the Holly Trees and I could also hear a Hawfinch calling, but it was deep within cover and so I took a walk through the Holly Trees to the clearing and searched around here. None to be seen. So, retracing my steps back to the main road, I then heard the Hawfinches again and this time, out flew three birds that promptly rounded the green and landed in a tall tree to the north of the green. They then flew out and flew back towards the Holly Trees, but remained hidden again. That was enough for me and as I made my way back to my car for a bit of refreshment, a pair of Ravens flew over and headed off over the woodland. That was my cue to make my way home with two more ‘year-ticks’ to my year list.    


The 'drumming' Great Spotted Woodpecker at Acres Down this morning.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...