Thursday, February 2, 2023

Barn Owl at Fort Cumberland.


Thursday 2nd February 2023.


The Barn Owl now occupies one of the holes at Fort Cumberland.

I only had an hour spare this morning and so I thought I would give it another try for the Little Owls at Fort Cumberland. There seems to be just one sighting of these birds here this year, but something told me that it was worth having another try (4th time this year!) for the birds and if they are not here, I shall try for the Newlands Barn bird instead! The weather looked a bit indifferent as heavy clouds slowly made its way in from the west. 


Above, one of the two Sanderlings on the foreshore and below, a Common Gull on the sea. 

The tide was ebbing when I arrived at Eastney Beach, though I was lucky enough to pick out a couple of Sanderling running along the shoreline and even managed to grab a few photos of the birds. Not a great deal else here though, with just a few Common Gulls for company, I walked close to the fence line to check if any Black Redstarts might be hiding here. They should be coming in now and this species here can get quite numerous. I have heard them singing here in the late Winter / early Spring in the past and I am sure it can be repeated.


Above, the Barn Owl and below, another one of the Sanderlings.

There was another young chap just ahead of me, but I kept my distance from him as he made his way to the very end of the fence. Funny thing is, though he gave me a few quizzical looks, I had a chat with him back at the car and he apologised to me for looking a bit dodgy as he was dying for a pee! He asked me about the Owls here and I was a bit reluctant at first, but he said he saw the Little Owls here in December.


Above, another photo of the Barn Owl and below, a calm sea over the Solent. Sad there was nothing on it to look at.

I made my way to the usual viewing area to check out the holes in the south facing wall of Fort Cumberland and to my surprise, I could see one of the holes was occupied. Excitedly, I moved up some more along the embankment to get a better view and low and behold, it wasn't a Little Owl, but a Barn Owl occupying one of the holes! I grabbed a load of photos and decided to leave the bird in peace, wondering if the Barn Owl had pushed the Little Owls out of their territory?


The Blackcap was still in my garden this morning.

Apart from the usual Feral Pigeons, there was absolutely nothing else of note here, not even any Stock Doves either! When I got home, I quickly done myself something to eat and checked out the garden feeders and I was pleased to see the male Blackcap back again for its 4th day in my garden. In Hampshrie today, the Great Grey Shrike was still present near Denny Wood in the New Forest. The adult Sabine’s Gull is still present at Southmoor and it looks as though it is even coming to bread according to one birder!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...