Sunday, January 29, 2023

RSPB Garden Birdwatch.

Sunday 29th January 2023.


This Blue Tit took a liking to the Fat Balls this morning.

This weekend is the RSPB’s Garden Birdwatch and so I took time out this morning to record what birds were feeding or around my garden from 8.30am to 9.30am. It was overcast this morning, even with a threat of a bit of rain and still quite cold too (about 5 degrees), though hardly any wind at all. I was well wrapped up after topping up all the feeders and so armed with my binoculars and camera, I sat down outside by the back door and waited.


The local House Sparrows enjoying the bounty of food I put out for the birds this morning. Yes, they are common, but they have declined since the 1970's by an enormous number. 

As expected, the House Sparrows totally dominated proceedings, with at least 14+ birds present, but sitting there quietly, it is amazing how many different calls they make, especially when there is some sort of dispute going on between them; one hell of a din! Though the Goldfinches came a close second, I think the Robin was probably the best of all the sightings during my time here, though it proved a difficult individual to photograph. There were actually two Robins, though one was a few gardens away and singing its heart out.


Above. though this Robin was slightly out of focus, it was eyeing up the food this morning. Occasionally, it would fly onto the sunflower hearts and pick one out, though it never settled long. Below, another photo of one of the Blue Tits checking out the Fat Balls.

A pair of Goldfinches came down to inspect the feeders briefly in my neighbours tree, but did not venture onto the feeders. Though later on during the morning, they came back with five more of their chums in the same tree, but again, none ventured into my garden. A pair of Blue Tits came down to have a go at both the Fat Balls and the sunflower hearts at least twice during the hour, but there was no sign of the Great Tits this morning, which was a shame. First thing this morning, a male Blackbird came into the garden to feed on one of the Apples put out for the Thrushes. It or another bird didn't manage to get into the garden during the hour I was sitting out there, but remained in my neighbours Holly Tree, doing a bit of sub-singing instead! Another male bird simply belted across the garden and headed off south giving off its alarm call.


Above, four of the seven Goldfinches in my neighbours tree and below, a pair of Magpies flew into the same tree later in the morning. 

Several bird species flew over the garden including Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Herring Gull and even a pair of Magpies landed in my neighbours tree briefly before flying off south over the gardens. I did see a Wagtail species fly over heading east, but it never called and so will remain a Wagtail sp. Both Grey and Pied Wagtails fly over my house in the winter quite regularly, though I have not seen the Grey Wagtail for a while now. Finally, I did get just the one Starling feeding in my garden, though a passing Cat put paid in the visit as the bird shot out of one of the feeders and up onto my roof of the house. 


Eventually, a Starling joined the other birds in my garden, paying particular attention to the seed pellets. 

Total birds seen this morning included the following:

  • 14+ House Sparrow
  • 6 Herring Gull
  • 3 Wood Pigeon
  • 3 Collared Dove
  • 1 Robin + 1 heard singing.
  • 7 Goldfinch
  • 2 Blue Tit
  • 1 Starling
  • 2 Blackbird
  • 2 Magpie.    

Andy Fisher struck lucky this morning when he spotted a male Blackcap coming onto his feeders within his Cowplain back garden. I was only asking him yesterday about any sightings of the Blackcaps that regularly winter in his garden! Thankfully, he filmed the bird on his mobile this morning (see below). I have had Blackcaps wintering around the garden here a few years back, but none of late, sadly.

Above, the male Blackcap in Andy's garden this morning. Film footage by Andy Fisher.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...