Wednesday, February 1, 2023

A bit quieter around the Cemy.

Wednesday 1st February 2023.


Starlings on one of the neighbouring house rooftops.

Though I have a nice ‘Cold’ to enjoy, I took another stroll over Highland Road Cemetery, seeing that it was not only the first day of the new month and also a pleasant day. Though there was a bit of cloud overhead, the sun did come out now and then, in a balmy 9 degrees and a westerly breeze. 


Above, a juvenile Herring Gull on the roof of the Chapel. Below, this Robin was in full song as I passed by underneath it.

The number of species of birds here was lower than usual, with just 15 species seen or heard, but with Spring on its way, there will be more in the coming months. I was also keeping an eye on any plants starting to appear this morning and came up with some flowering Common Field-speedwell growing on some of the graves. The Winter Heliotrope was also still in bloom below the Holm Oak clump (see photo), but little else yet.


Above, Common Field-speedwell growing on the graves and below, flowering Winter Heliotrope.

Yet again, still no sign of the Green Woodpecker, but the Jay finally gave itself away, though this bird was very quiet this morning. At least three Wrens were seen this morning including two that were chasing each other. I was hoping that a returning Firecrest would be around the Holm Oaks this morning, but I was happy to make do with a couple of Goldcrests instead. 


Above, Magpies and a Carrion Crow in one of the Chestnut trees and below, the Jay eventually put in an appearance.

The birds seen or heard this morning within the Cemetery were as follows:

  • Herring Gull
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Wren
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Goldcrest (male + female)
  • Carrion Crow
  • Jay
  • Magpie
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Goldfinch
  • Blackbird


Above, these Robins came close to where I stood in the middle of the Cemy. Below, one of several Wrens seen this morning. 

When I got home, a quick check of the birds enjoying the feeders in my back garden, I noticed the male Blackcap again flitting around by the Suet feeder. I did notice it was empty, so I topped it up along with the Sunflower Heart feeder. I wonder if there is a female bird around our gardens.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...