Thursday, January 26, 2023

Very quiet at Eastney Beach.

Thursday 26th January 2023.


The Beach at Eastney opposite Fort Cumberland. Virtually nothing on the sea and no sign of the Little Owls again. Hurrumph!

I decided to give it another try for the Little Owls at Fort Cumberland, but it was the same as the last 5 times I have been there - no diamonds! I thought that if the Owls were not present, then a walk around the Fort Cumberland Common could produce a Dartford Warbler around the Gorse Bushes. However, the multitude of dog-walkers put paid to that idea. Just one of those days, I guess.


Above, one of the seven Stock Doves counted here above one of them empty holes on Fort Cumberland. Below, a skein of Brent Geese flying over Langstone Harbour heading westbound.

There were no Sanderling on the beach at Eastney, though two dog-walkers would not have helped their cause anyway and the sea was flat calm, but absolutely nothing on it! So what did I see? Though the holes in the wall of Fort Cumberland were empty of Little Owls, I counted at least 7 Stock Doves resting by the wall to try and cheer me up! A good look around the scrubby area and the derelict buildings held nothing but Feral Pigeons.


Above, more Brent Geese flying west high over Langstone Harbour and below, one of the adult Common Gulls on the near deserted beach.

Up to 6 Common Gulls were present on the beach, with one individual showing particularly well until flying off eastbound when a dog approached. I had to rush off to B&Q for Daffodil bulbs (they had none, incidentally!) for which my wife wanted for the garden, which gave me the excuse to check for the Owls. Back in my garden, I was pleased that a male Blackbird had come down to feed on the Apples I have been putting out for them. Sometimes the female bird pops in though I have not seen it for a while. I heard my first singing Blackbird of the year this morning, an individual that was perched on a TV aerial near my house. Lovely to hear them again.

The Shorelark at Cut Bridge, at Hurst, this morning. Photo by Jay Bee.

Yet again, Hampshire’s currant rarest birds, the adult Sabine’s Gull at Southmoor and the Shorelark at Cut Bridge, near Lymington, are both still present and still drawing in its admirers. From Hayling Oyster Beds, 3 Black-necked Grebes and the female type Long-tailed Duck were seen this morning. There is a surprise leader in the Hants Listing for 2023 this month, with Andy Dickety holding top spot with a whopping 152 species seen already in Hampshire! Birding companion Andy Fisher is 7th in the County and although I have not put my total up, I am 5th with 123 species so far for the year. I am not sure that I will just do my birding in Hampshire only, but it certainly is tempting.   


The leader board so far this month.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...