Tuesday, January 24, 2023

A drive in the countryside.

Tuesday 24th January 2023.


A Raven was seen flying over the fields by the crossroads near Old Winchester Hill.

There was a slight change in the weather today with overcast skies replacing the clear blue skies of late, though it was still pretty cold out there being around the 4 degree mark. I really fancied going out for a drive out in the ‘sticks’ and maybe grab a ‘year-tick’ or two and so made my way to Old Winchester Hill, checking the fields for possible Red-legged Partridge. For a change, the roads were rather clear and even out in the countryside, it was noticeably quiet.

The beautiful countryside one can search while waiting at the crossroads.

I have to say, you really do have to keep your eyes on the road even though the fields adjacent to the country roads are so enticing to pick out something of note, for you never know what speeding car just might come around the corner! I have been caught out a few times in checking something interesting in the past and nearly came a cropper! Today, I was more than careful and eventually, I pulled up near the crossroads just north of the Sustainability Centre on the Hayden Lane road.


A pair of male Pheasants in the field near where I was watching.

From here, all was so very quiet, with the occasional car passing by and giving me an odd look as I was scanning the surrounding fields. In one field to the north, at least a dozen or so Common Gulls were checking the short grass for probable worms and were joined by a small flock of Starlings. On the opposite side of the road, the field held a pair of male Pheasants trying to keep as low as possible to avoid detection. But my old 59 year old eyes were glued on them in no time! Yes, I know they are a common bird, but such a pretty bird nonetheless. The field south of this held a distant Common Buzzard perched on a fence-post, but despite a good search, there were no Red-legged Partridges here today.


Common Gulls searching for earthworms in the fields by the crossroads.

On the opposite side to where I stood, there was the road to the small village of Coombe and the Whitepool Pond was visible down in the valley below as I made my way for a brief stop to Old Winchester Hill. I wonder if anyone does any birding down in that area? Before I left, I heard the distinctive ‘cronking’ of a Raven and soon the bird flew past me as I managed to grab a few photos as it made its way southbound. Instead of parking up in the usual car park at Old Winchester Hill, I pulled over in the small car park beforehand and took a stroll to overlook the valley looking west. A male Bullfinch popped out briefly and showed very well; a much better view of this bird than the quick flypast I had at Blashford Lakes earlier this year.


This Red Kite was soaring over the valley below at Old Winchester Hill.

Looking down in the valley, the calls of various Corvids below and overhead was all that could be heard. The fields below held hundreds of Jackdaws, Carrion Crows and Rooks and even a few Pheasants were running around in the field below. Scanning the fields to the west, I picked out a superb Red Kite soaring over the sheep fields below (see photo). I was hoping for my first Green Woodpecker of the year, a really good site for this species here, but not today and so I made my way back to the car but not before spotting a Treecreeper climbing up one of the roadside trees.


A Little Egret fishing the small stream near the River Meon at Meonstoke.

One of my favourite sites I regularly go to in the winter is Meonstoke, notably the pub car park of the Bucks Head. The River Meon runs through here and it looks as though it might have burst its banks in a few areas as a few roads were closed in the area. From the car park, I could see a Little Egret fishing in the shallow water, but there was no sign of any Green Sandpiper. The latter species regularly winters here year on year, but not today. Bugger! But it is always nice to simply watch from here for an hour or so and just watch what goes past. I picked out another Red Kite soaring over the countryside to the west and a small flock of Long-tailed Tits searched the neighbouring trees before flying off towards the gardens behind the car park. A Common Buzzard was seen perched on a fence-post in the field opposite and then picked off something on the ground and flew up to a nearby bush. I suppose I could have stayed a lot longer, but it was getting quite cold.


One of several Long-tailed Tits by the River Meon.

I got back into the car and made my way down the road heading towards Wickham. As I was just about to leave the Meonstoke area, I looked out my window and noticed a small flock of Pheasants in the nearby field and behind them, a ‘covey’ of at least 15+ Red-legged Partridges were picked out by my amazing eyesight. At last, I had this species under my belt for the year and so that put a big smile on my face.        


A Common Buzzard perched opposite the Bucks Head pub in Meonstoke.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...