Monday, January 2, 2023

Sparrowhawks showing well in the Cemy.

Monday 2nd January 2023.


Highland Road Cemetery looking north.

After completing some household chores, I took a walk around my local patch, Highland Road Cemetery. The weather was a lot brighter than yesterday, with quite a bit of sunshine, hardly any wind and a cool 8 degrees centigrade. Donning my brand new winter coat my wife bought me for Xmas, I took a slow walk around my favourite part of Southsea.


Above, one of the pair of Jays and below, a male Sparrowhawk. Both were added to my year total.

It was tempting to go chasing more ‘year-ticks’ to add to my year list, what with a Red-throated Diver, Long-tailed Duck and a Little Gull in Chichester Harbour; I wanted a relaxing walk instead and came up trumps with both Sparrowhawk and Jay to add to my year list instead. A total of 21 species were either heard or seen within the Cemy today, which seems about the ‘norm’ here of late.


Below, a Goldfinch was seen perched up high in the trees and below, the only plants I could find flowering were the Common Groundsel.

Two male Sparrowhawks were seen soaring together high over the Cemetery, with one individual being harassed by a Carrion Crow until it flew off east. A little later, a female bird flew into the clump of Holm Oaks and out of view, though it did put up a lot of the Wood Pigeons that were resting in there. At least two vocal Jays were seen flitting about the gravestones; again, planting acorns in various areas of the Cemetery. The Pied Wagtail was heard twice flying over though there was no sighting of the bird, unfortunately.


Above, another photo of the Jay and below, one of the male Sparrowhawks being chased by a Carrion Crow.

There were no Redwings seen today here, but a Song Thrush was still present as well as good numbers of Blackbirds. Other notable sightings this morning included my first butterfly of the year. Though it flew past me at a rate of knots, I could only assume by its size and the way it flew, that it was a Small Tortoiseshell as it flew off into the neighbouring gardens and disappeared there.     

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Jay
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush
  • Sparrowhawk
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow 


One of several Robins seen today.

Incredibly, while I was walking around the Cemy, a Little Swift was found this morning in Eastbourne, East Sussex. It was flying around near the Martello Tower by the Sovereign Tower and probably was quite a shock to the finder of this amazing little bird. I have never seen one before and the last it was seen was a little after midday flying off eastbound. Grumble! Back in Hampshire, a Great Grey Shrike was seen at Pig Bush in the New Forest and it or another bird was seen on Matley Heath near Denny Wood!  


One of the Starlings singing in the sunshine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...