Friday, January 6, 2023

Andy wins the Cup!

Friday 6th January 2023.


A male Bearded Tit in front of the Meonshore Hide, Titchfield Haven, today. Photo by Jim Walker.

Though I never went birding today and when I did go out to take our Russell to work and pick him up and saw bugger all, I would like to congratulate Mr Andrew Fisher, my birding companion, for winning the Pye / Fly Cup for the first time in many a year. He finally nailed the four species he wanted to grab his 100th species for the year and ALL in Hampshire too. Well done that man.


Female Reed Bunting in front of the Meonshore Hide. Photo by Jim Walker.

He managed to find a Short-eared Owl at Farlington Marshes, a Sparrowhawk at Budds Farm, a Ringed Plover in Langstone Harbour and to round off the magic 100 species for the year, a Barn Owl at Southmoor. I shall be presenting him with the Cup tomorrow where I think we will be off to Blashford Lakes and the New Forest for goodies in the predicted poor weather!


The male Bearded Tit from the Meonshore Hide. Photo by Jim Walker.

The Long-tailed Duck was seen off Sandy Point again this morning, but flew off into Chichester Harbour. The four Glossy Ibis and two Water Pipits were seen from the Canal Path at Titchfield Haven. On Blashford Lakes today, 2 Green Sandpiper, Great White Egret, the female Red-crested Pochard and a Black-necked Grebe were present there and still no reported Bittern from the Ivy North Hide yet, though one showed coming into roost at Testwood Lakes.


The female Reed Bunting by the Meonshore Hide. Photo by Jim Walker.

Birding pal, Jim Walker spent some time in the Meonshore Hide on Titchfield Haven today and allowed me some of his superb photos to put on my blog today. Many thanks Jim.


This Common Plume moth was flushed when I was pruning my Black-eyed Susan plant in my back garden this morning. My second moth of the year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...