Friday, September 2, 2022

Curlew Sandpipers and Kingfishers on Farlington Marshes.

Friday 2nd September 2022.


One of the pair of Kingfishers by the Sluice gate on the reserve, enjoying a freshly caught fish.

While my wife had a Nail Appointment at midday, after dropping her off, I made my way to Farlington Marshes for a nice relaxing bit of birding. It was overcast when I arrived and the tide was just making its way up and at its peak at 4.25pm, I was watching the main lake fill up with waders throughout the two stay there. When I left, the clouds had cleared and sunshine poured down and the temperature increased rapidly as I was making my way back to the car.


Above, Starlings in fresh Autumn plumage on the lamp post by the car park. Below, Redshank, Common Snipe and a few Mallard at the back of the Lake.

I decided not to walk all around the reserve and simply concentrate on the main lagoon where the water level was low and therefore attracting a large number of both waders and wildfowl. Not only that, but a pair of Kingfishers entertained all afternoon close to where I stood by the Viewing Platform. The walk through the Bushes area was somewhat quiet, though a Common Whitethroat popped up briefly. Blackcaps could be heard ‘chacking’ deep within the brambles that were loaded with Blackberries.




Top photo: Linnets resting on a bramble by the sea wall in front of the Lake. Middle photo: a pair of Teal in the harbour and bottom photo: Redshank arriving on the Lake to join the other waders present.

On reaching the Lagoon, I could already see that it was full of waders, notably Black-tailed Godwit feeding in the centre of the lake. Probably around 150+ ‘Blackwits’ were counted with more pouring in from nearby Langstone Harbour. Redshank were probably the next most abundant waders with at least 60+ present and among these, I counted at least a dozen Greenshank and at least 30+ Dunlin. Careful scrutiny of each and every Dunlin revealed no rare Sandpipers, but I did have a very good count of at least 10 Curlew Sandpipers; they were all juveniles bar one adult that was still showing a bit of red flush on its breast. Andy Fisher and myself enjoyed a group of three Curlew Sandpipers last month over at Pagham Harbour.




Top photo: a skein of Canada Geese arriving onto the Lake from the harbour. Middle photo: more Redshank arriving onto the Lake and bottom photo: Redshank landing on the back of the Lake.

Other waders noted included a Whimbrel that was seen flying off over the reserve and a single Knot at the back of the lake. Also present were at least 3 Common Sandpipers and a single Common Snipe, the latter resting with the Redshank at the back of the lake. At least 6 Grey Plover joined the throng including a few in gorgeous summer plumage. Among the wildfowl were Mallard, Teal, a few Pintail, Gadwall and overhead, my first Wigeon of the year as a big flock of around 30+ flew over, but never settled. 




Top, middle and bottom photos: Curlew Sandpiper feeding with other waders including some Redshank and Grey Plover on the Lake.

A pair of Kingfishers kept me very much entertained as they perched on the nearby posts on the lake or perched on the concrete just below the Viewing Platform. In fact, I think that because I kept so still, they got closer and closer throughout my stay there. Yellow Wagtails were abundant over the reserve, flying over in loose flocks or singularly over the lake and then heading towards the fields, but I could not find any Wheatears or Whinchats perched on the fence wire at the back of the lake, though two Common Buzzards were noted.




Top photo: three juvenile Grey Herons resting on the lake. Middle photo: one of the Common Buzzards perched behind the lake and bottom photo: a mixed group of birds including Gadwall, Teal, Black-headed Gull and a single Common Sandpiper in the foreground. 

Several Migrant Hawker dragonflies were seen hunting on the reserve, notably a close individual around the Bushes area, while out on the near high tide within the harbour, a calling Sandwich Tern was seen fishing over the still water. One thing I enjoyed about this trip was showing a lady the Kingfisher and explaining the types of waders that were on the lake. If you can pass on your knowledge to help others, I think birding then can be so rewarding; along with the whoosh of the waders as they fly over the sea wall to land on the lake. Something else. 





Above, some of the photos I took of these very obliging Kingfishers on the lake at Farlington Marshes this afternoon. By keeping quite still, I think I gained their confidence in settling close to where I stood.

Stop press: I have just had a Whatsapp message to say that a Bluethroat had been found at the back of the lake late this afternoon. Sadly, though I did see a few Reed Warblers flitting about, I did not come across the Bluethroat. The Pectoral Sandpiper and Little Stint are still on Pennington Marshes, which is probably where we will be heading tomorrow. 


Returning Wigeon flying low over the lake.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...