Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Osprey in Langstone Harbour.

Tuesday 23rd August 2022.


The distant Osprey on North Binness Island, Langstone Harbour, this morning.

Before making my way up to QA Hospital again this morning, I thought I would take a detour and take a look if the Osprey was perched on the dead tree on North Binness Island. Thankfully, it was and constituted my first of the Autumn. I was lucky enough to see one in the Spring, flying over the M275 of all places and so seeing this individual brought back brief memories of the Spring bird. It has been an exceptional year for this species with it locally breeding in Poole Harbour and regular sightings since Spring around Fishlake Meadows, Romsey. Today's bird was mostly preening itself on top of the dead tree, though it mostly had its back to me during the time I was there.


Above, another photo of the Osprey which was flanked by a large flock of Starlings on North Binness Island. Below, one of the many Great Crested Grebes in the harbour.
 

Sadly, the photos were not top notch due to the very overcast and dreary conditions and eventually, after 40 minutes or so, the drizzle returned. During my time at Broadmarsh Car Park, looking south into the harbour on a rising tide. Other notable birds included a male Kestrel also perched quite close to the Osprey with a large flock of Starlings in attendance. There were plenty of waders resting on the edge of the islands and a few flocks flew past as well, noticeably Redshank, Turnstone and a few Black-tailed Godwit. Good numbers of Grey Plover, Curlew and the odd Whimbrel were seen through the telescope and at least a dozen Little Egrets roosted on the islands.


Above, both Turnstone and Herring Gull resting on one of the moored boats in the harbour. Below, a gathering of Great Crested Grebes near the islands.

I counted at least 20+ Great Crested Grebes in the harbour and a few Sandwich and Common Terns were seen fishing or resting on the small buoys. I spent a good 40 minutes here as mentioned and around me, at least two Robins were in full song and I could also hear a few Common Whitethroat ‘clicking’ in the brambles behind me and the soft ‘hooeet’ of a Willowchiff nearby. Looking at my watch, I called it time and made my way to the Hospital, but always nice to see the Osprey in the Autumn at one of its most regular sites at this time of year.


Above, the same flock of Great Crested Grebes by the islands within Langstone Harbour. Below, a small flock of both Redshank and Grey Plover by the islands.  

Earlier today, a Square-spot Rustic moth was in my bathroom (below) and I promptly caught it and it flew out of the window! They obviously know I am the Moth man! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...