Sunday, August 21, 2022

Not the best of weekends.

Sunday 21st August 2022.


The Hummingbird Hawk-moth in my back garden tonight as the light was fading. 

Well, that was a weekend I do not want to have all that often. My poor wife was rushed into QA Hospital yesterday early morning in agony, which turned out to be a badly inflamed Gallbladder and with a kidney stone there, an operation looks likely. That's the horrible bad news. The good news is that I did see some notable sightings over this weekend, while going up and down the hospital from Southsea.


My first Carnation Tortrix of the year, found by the back door of my Grand-daughters house in Eastney. 

The usual Common Buzzards were perched on the street lamps on the M275 and while taking Becky to hospital at break-neck speed up the motorway, I saw a female Sparrowhawk soaring over the Paulsgrove area. Today, while I was visiting my wife by her hospital bed late this afternoon, I saw another female Sparrowhawk soaring over Portsdown Hill from the Hospital window and the bird launched into a stoop, scattering a flock of Wood Pigeons.


On Saturday, a juvenile White-winged Black Tern was spotted offshore, but lost to view over the Solent from Pennington Marshes. However, it or another bird (above) appeared at Rockford Lake, Blashford, during the day and remained till dusk for all those lucky enough to see it. However, the bird never appeared today. Photo by Andy Tew.

Better still was a Spotted Flycatcher perched on a dead tallest branch of a conifer near the hospital! Yes, it was a bit distant, but unless it was one of the extremely rare American flycatchers, it was looking very good for a Spotted Flycatcher. As I told the ‘Lazee Birders’, I never switch off!!




Top photo, a Pied Flycatcher and middle and bottom photo, Spotted Flycatcher; all seen and photographed at the Paddocks, Northney, Hayling Island by Pete Appleton. These birds have been present now most of the week and showed well for the ever appreciative birders.

When I got home tonight, I noticed a lot of the plants were flagging on my back garden, despite a small shower in Southsea and Portsmouth this morning. So, while watering the most needy plants, I saw a Hummingbird Hawk-moth nectaring on the Buddleia plant again. I have read that it has been arguably the best record for this species on record, with sightings reaching four-fold against the record year. Another Striped Hawk-moth was seen in Selsey again this morning in the same garden as previously seen there. Last Friday, I was over my Grand-daughter's house and spotted what I thought was a Light Brown Apple Moth, but on closer inspection, it was actually a Carnation Tortrix, my first of the year. I have not put my moth box on for a few days now, but I have fired it up tonight. Again, many thanks to the guys letting me use their superb photos. 


This cracking photo of a Wryneck was taken yesterday by birding pal, Dave Hutton who was at Spurn. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...